question

Miro Vidos avatar image
Miro Vidos asked

VE.Direct-MPPT in system with VE.Bus BMS, MultiPlus and CCGX

Designing a LiFe/grid/solar powered system with

1.BMS, Multi and CCGX connected via VE.BUS

2.MPPT via VE.Direct connected to CCGX

I have to be able to protect the LiFe battery by BMS switching off charging by MPPT. In documentation we have VE.Direct Remote on-off cable for that.

If I use that port I am unable to connect CCGX to MPPT.

Is it possible for CCGX to switch off MPPT by command from BMS but via VE.Bus connection between CCGX/Multi/BMS?

MPPT ControllersCCGX Color ControlVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'm not sure how your BMS works. If it is two signals - "Battery Full" and "Battery Empty" then you can use inputs on the MultiPlus it's self.
You need to use "Two-signal BMS support" assistant or if you are using "ESS" assistant you will have the option to configure Two-signal BMS in there.

With that, the MultiPlus will communicate BMS state to CCGX.

Downside is that you cannot use the temperature sensor on the MultiPlus because it will be one of the inputs for the BMS instead.

ts-bms.jpg (32.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I have ESS on my system. I cannot directly control the MPPT because it is a slave. BMS state will automatically control the MPPT on or off.
Manually, from ESS menu I have an option to limit charge power, I can make it 0W if I want.

2 |3000

Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

I have just tested it in my workshop. And MPPT will not turn off via the VE.Bus-CCGX-VE.direct cable conenction in case of Smart LFP battery over voltage. So use a MPPT with a remote on/off connector and wire this to the BMS. Alternatively add a Cyrix li-charge or Battery protect to the system and drive it from the BMS.

I assume the reason is that stopping charge in case of an over voltage is an important safety feature and should be wired directly to the BMS rather than via a GX device.

1 comment
2 |3000

natebert avatar image natebert commented ·

Thank you Margreet!
I'll definately use the charge disconnect ports from the BMS to the MPPTs remote connector.

0 Likes 0 ·