question

turbojens avatar image
turbojens asked

DC-DC Charging Caravan from vehicle - issues and solutions?

Hello,

I have a Caravan with a lithium battery that I want to charge from my car. Of course it has a "smart" alternator.

So, both the caravan and car have a 13-pin EU connector that has two positive and negative pins for charging and supplying refrigerator while driving. (I have removed the refrigerator and installed a 230v refrigerator and it's so much more efficient than the 12v driven absorbtion fridge that is more or less useless in my opinion)

The solution is obvious a Orion-tr smart DC/DC charger that I have used before and these are just amazing. By installing it in the vehicle I will then remove the low output from alternator and ensure a steady powersupply but I will due to cable length and the fact that the wire gauge is not unlimited see a voltage drop to the battery at high currents.

If installing the DC/DC converter on the caravan side it can pull very high amps through the 13pin connector and it might just overheat the pins.

There is also a possibility to use two chargers, one 12/24v in the vehicle and a 24/12v in the caravan but this setup obviously needs to be used with caution if connecting any other caravan or trailer.

What seem to be the best option now is to rewire the connector and paralell connect both the positive and negative leads to reduce voltage drop and load on the 13pin connector. Then I must try with the DC-DC charger at different positions until I find a working solution. I can of course rewire the caravan and install larger size cables but on the vehicle side this is not so easy to be honest. I have not measured but I think it's 2.5mm² wire and it's connected to the vehicle harness in the rear so it's not a long run.

Sizing, 18A is the lowest that could act as a charger, if I say that I just want bulk charging while driving I can go for a 9A version and just set the voltage so low that it will charge when low battery and not overcharge and let the MPPT do the final charge. Maybe I need a 230v charger too so that can also act as a full charger. But 9A is not much, if charging a 200Ah battery it will take 24h.

I have puzzled a lot with the smart orion settings, and there is obvious some advanced settings that would be helpful, like voltage compensation vs. charge current. That when running the charger on different amps could measure the actual voltage drop and add that to settings.

Another great option would be external voltage sense, that would probably solve a lot of issues but would require hardware changes (if anyone know some DIY for this I'm ready for soldering!)

Any ideas? I think this issue is more and more common these days as lithium batteries and solar panels have made the use of ordinary refrigerators much easier than the old 12v/230v/propane refrigerators. (My old fridge used a steady 130W on 12v with very low performance, my 230v refrigerator is drawing 3A from the battery included the inverter and I assume the duty cycle is less than 50% so can calculate run time with around 15-20w)

orion dc-dc
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
I installed a Victron 18 amp DC-DC charger in my travel trailer to charge from the tow vehicle. I had hoped to use the alternator detection system to turn the charger on and off but the voltage drop prevented this. I use the control input off the running light circuit to control the charger.

Total length in my case was about 35 feet. I ran #6 AWG wire in the tow vehicle and trailer for the positive connection and I used the vehicle's chassis for the negative connection.

Use as large a wire as practical to minimize voltage drop on the input side of the charger. If you can't replace the wire from the battery to the rear of your tow vehicle then set the maximum input current to the ampacity of the wire.

Locate the charger close to the battery you are charging so the charger sees an accurate battery voltage.

If you want more charging current you are probably going to need a separate power connector.

1 Like 1 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@TurboJens Hmmm, I stopped reading here. So, both the caravan and car have a 13-pin EU connector

What is the current carrying capacity of the wiring and 13 pin connector?

0 Likes 0 ·
turbojens avatar image turbojens klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
25A if 2.5mm² cable is used, but I really think that is not considered safe for constant use.

A friend of mine tried using a DC/DC charger through a 13pin connector but did see big voltage drop. I did not do any big fault tracing on his setup, just recorded that it might not be so easy. I kinda remember that when the DC/DC charger was put in the caravan it would draw more amps du to the voltage drop, that in turn lead to more voltage drop and higher amps until the DC/DC shut of itself.

Probably combining the two circuits is the best option, that should be safe if I check that the load is even on the two pairs.

Just looking for other opinions so I can save my cars wiring harness for being a lab.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Ni

Need to run a twin 10mm2 cable and use anderson connector fittings of 50Amps rating,

Using a chassi earth though tow hitches is not a good idea to many losess etc.

This is what i normaly do in RV, Camper installs. And they work very good with no issues to date. My 2 cents worth.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

turbojens avatar image turbojens commented ·

I decided to make my own cable. I took 7 1.5mm² cables, 1 2.5mm² and 4 6mm² (flexible, from a rubber extension cord) cables and soldered everything, wrapped it up in a nice flexible "pipe". It seem quite flexible compared to the old cable so I think this could work. It was a hassle to get all this through so I made it shorter and will install i junction box underneath and from there I can split it up and it doesn have to be so flexible.

This means that I got total of 12mm² cable and each terminal is rated to 25A so should be pretty close to your suggestion. I hopefully receive the DC/DC charger tomorrow so would be nice to do some testing.

20240709-213305.jpg

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources