question

colin-cannon avatar image
colin-cannon asked

Oscillation, Quattros, Ac coupled generation, Offgrid

Have installed 2 x quattros in parallel on a single phase offgrid system, with generator back up at AC in 1 and ~25kW Hydro in AC out 1. 4 x 15.4kWh BYD.

Diesel generator and system work great together, charging batteries and discharge without issue.

The hydro works OK when it takes on part of the loads but when charging the battery and covering all loads, we get oscillation and lights flickering. This does settle down but if a load comes on ~3kW or drops off, it causes some oscillation for about 20-30 seconds and the current jumps up and down before resettling again.

Additionally, the quattros do not like the controlled shutdown of the hydro. As the hydro backs off and the load returns to AC out, it forces the hydro to trip on over frequency.

Struggling to identify the reason for the oscillation when loads come on or off.

Weak AC selected helped a bit, UPS off made it worse again. PV assistant in place and hydro controller configured for frequency shifting.

Any ideas or suggestions for possible remedies would be really appreciated.

Cheers

offgridquattro 10kvaacout
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
salcot avatar image
salcot answered ·

Lots of potential issues with off-grid AC coupling, particularly if you have large variable generators in the system. I have been wrestling with it for over 10 years and have never found the perfect solution.

Not really enough information about the system to make a firm comment but I would be interested to know how the Quattro(s) frequency control is behaving. I recently moved to a Quattro from another well known manufacturer and found the control to be a bit...umm...aggressive! Still fiddling to account for this change.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron Offgrid page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic