question

hdb avatar image
hdb asked

Quattro stops generator input

Hello,

This is my parents off grid system in Spain:

generator-works.png

They are short of sun sometimes so I explained my father to hook up the generator to AC IN 1. That's what you are seeing in the picture above. Works like a charm.

I used VEConfigure 3 to limit the current to 6A (6kVA generator but playing safe while testing) and "Overruled by remote" is checked so I can play in the console to test te limits of the generator by increasing the current.

All perfect.

The problem/question is:

The system is charging from generator, like in the picture above, for say 15 minutes and then the current flow stops, showing a picture like this:

generator-not-charging.png

This would indicate that the generator's breaker or thermal swich jumped, or a cable burnt through,... But no: nothing weird: generator still running, using multimeter it still shows 220V @ 50Hz.

So for some reason, even though batteries only at say 70%, the Quattro cuts of the generators AC IN 1 input. My father shut down the generator 10 minutes after that (because Quattro wasn't taking current in anyway).

Any ideas please?

Generatoroffgridquattro 10kva
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @HDB

Take a look through this.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

There can also be other things come into play too. Even a dicky connection in a power cord can cause this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hdb avatar image
hdb answered ·

@JohnC

Thanks a lot. I always try to Google my way to answers, but the link you provided was new to me and crucial.

I did all the suggested modifications except the LOM part. I do have the grid password, so I could do it, but it requires reboot of quattro. First we test the modifications without LOM-changes. If the generator story keeps having weird symptoms, I'll do the LOM-modification.

Regards,

Hendrik

2 |3000

hdb avatar image
hdb answered ·

We connected a 230V inverter to AC1In to simulate a stable input; which works: quattro is not interupting the incoming current.

Weird: I limited the input current to 2A (for testing purposes) but still the quattro pulls 7-8-more amps from AC1IN, even though i enabled 'weak AC input" and "Dynamic current limiter" with "UPS function disabled".

Country settings are still disabled, otherwise I have to reboot the quattro which is scary being 2000km's away.

So why does it pull more amps then I configured?

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@HDB

There's a minimum ACIN current value that can be applied. This is a technical issue and can only be reduced further if you turn off PowerAssist. Is this yours?..

1648295011159.png

Best to avoid using that 'Weak AC' setting if you can, it makes a significant change to the Power Factor and might be a little harder on some loads.

0 Likes 0 ·
1648295011159.png (14.6 KiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Victron Offgrid page