question

bruce-bear avatar image
bruce-bear asked

Model selection needed - Also Input Voltage 120V versus 230V. Help please.

In my RV, I currently have 12V battery and 120V "shorepower". My generator is Onan 10KV "Quiet Diesel", configured to output 120V.
The inverter for this system is junk. It does not "power share" and it's constantly breaking down.
I am also considering a new airconditioning system that requires 240V (US Standard).

So, there are a couple of background situations.
1) I can easily reconfigure my generator to 240V output (240V on two 120V output "legs"). My shore power cord and transfer switch are already configured to handle 240V but the actual feed into my current inverter-charger is single-leg 120V.
2) I will need to install new 240V wiring to the new airconditioning system from a new 240/230V interter charger. No problem.
3) I have approx. 700 Amp/hr of battery capacity (AGM, 12V). This battery bank would be easily reconfigured to 24V by recabling pairs in series. Again, no problem.

My technical issue : Frequently, I find that I'm limited to 120V input on the road. This can be 15Amp/120v (ordinary household current outlet) or 30Amp/120V ("TT" RV connector). I have 240V service at my home shop/garage and many RV parks have 240V outlets, but not all.
So, a basic question, Does Victron make an RV-suitable unit with about 4KW, 240V output that will accept either 120V or 240V shorepower/generator input? If so, which Victron model will do this?

Assuming the answer is no, what's the best arrangement?
Using a 120V - 240V transformer with a 240V inverter charger (with 240V input from the generator) and running a normal 240V house system from there? With load-balanced split legs for house 120V circuits and 240V to the airconditioning system.
Or use a 120V inverter charger, continue to use 120V from the shore power and generator, with a 120V - 240V transformer fed from the inverter-charger output to power the airconditioner system?
(All the above considers the battery bank configured for 24V). Which Victron model inverter would be best?

Thank you. I look forward to converting to Victron for my RV power needs.

Bruce in North Carolina, USA

victron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

This is a very old question, I am starting at the end of unanswered questions so have come across yours as its not answered , So sorry for the delay hope you got it all sorted

Victron does have 240 volt ac 1 and 240 ac out units

They also have 1`20 volt acin and 120v ac out

for 12 and 24 volt systems

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic