question

Manda avatar image
Manda asked

Victron Phoenix Inverter Compact 12/1200 to run 0.8 kW waterpump...

Hi.

As said in the title, I planed to run 0.8 kW waterpump with a 12/1200 phoenix inverter compact. The pump run "only" about 15s everytime. So, my questions:

1°) Does it suit ?

2°) What kind of battery should I use (some special solar batteries I used are marked: "Initial current = 40Amps)

Thx

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

It depends a lot on the type of pump. A variable speed soft start like the grundfos Scala2 will start from an inverter half that size.

While others may require twice as big.

It is very hard to say as there is so much variation in initial pump surge demand, this also includes onsite conditions, such as pump head.

A reasonably safe rule of thumb is initial surge demand for a single phase pump start up surge is 6 times operating.

This can very significantly and the safest bet is to find someone locally that supplies Victron equipment and ask about their experiences with pumps that are available locally.

https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Manda avatar image
Manda answered ·

Thank you for your answer.
Where I live, Victron equipment suppliers "only" SALE equipment…
The pump has not soft start.
I already run this pump with a chinese 3kVA inverter, with some appliances running (500 L fridge, computer with 2 screens, TV & decoder, 1kW boiler or a 1.6kW water-heater).
I also accidentally run it with a 800 VA Victron inverter (forgot to isolate it…): as result, it started 2-3s then stopped, and I got batteries damaged (the marked "Initial current = 40Amps" ones, bumps on the side, I think about to explode!)
I'm wondering, this Victron inverter is protected from overload, so is it hasardous to make a try?

2 |3000

Manda avatar image
Manda answered ·

This is a quite old topic, but I forgot to make feedback. I finally have the answer : now I'm running the 0.8KW water pump with the 1200 VA Compact Phoenix Inverter, with some other appliances (PC, TV, fridge). I also made a try to use microwave oven at 100% power and it WORKED without damage (though, for ca 2-3 min)…

2 |3000