question

Nick Taylor avatar image
Nick Taylor asked

Cerbo WiFi question

Hello, I have a recently installed Cerbo and am trying to connect to the wifi system in a campground at OBX. Decent signal strength (55-60%) and it “connects” but isn’t asking for the password like other networks. As a result, our system isn’t updating on VRM for remote monitoring.

If anyone has a favorite antenna for boosting signal strength would love to hear what you chose.

TIA!

cerbo gxwifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Nick Taylor

There can be a few causes for this that I've seen.

Sometimes public access wifi points use a 'captive' log in system, rather than a user name and password. You can tell if it's one of these systems if you try to connect to the wifi with your phone and you get a pop up browser window with something you need to tap or click.

The other possible cause is when there is a multifrequency network 2.4/5ghz that share the same SSID. The Cerbo GX wifi only supports 2.4 Ghz, but some networks have a router level priority feature that tries to connect new connections to the 5ghz, which then doesn't work.

It's also possible as you say that the signal is just too weak, but if finding a USB wifi adapter, with a larger external antenna doesn't help that could be the explanation.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nick Taylor avatar image Nick Taylor commented ·
Thanks Guy! I was able to connect to this network on my iPhone, which required me to enter their wifi password. The Cerbo just “connects” but never asks for password, so it doesn’t work. Any suggestions?
0 Likes 0 ·
Not really beyond what've put there. My next step would be to get a USB wifi dongle that supports 5ghz and an external antenna. They are pretty cheap.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources