question

os-stagair avatar image
os-stagair asked

Buck converter

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if Victron sell DC-DC buck converters.

Because to use the phoenix 48/5000 I need to decrease my voltage of the battery to 38-66V.

If not have anyone then have a idea where I can buy them somewere else or to design it my self

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I don't think you will find a DCDC buck converter that can deliver so much energy. The 48/5000 has a peak power of 10kW -> 150A @ 66V

Even at normal power (4kW@25°C) you need 60A @ 66V

What battery voltage do you have and why?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

os-stagair avatar image os-stagair commented ·

I have a 80 V battery wich is wanna use for powering the light.

The output of the battery is 200 A

@M.Lange

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Victron sells all types of down converters in the Orion line.

2 |3000

kai avatar image
kai answered ·

Design of a DC/DC converter to handle the power levels you're suggesting is not trivial, there's a lot of design and test that goes around picking a switching chipset and FETs.

Do you have access to a mid-point tap on the battery- you can use 2x inverters in parallel if you can rearrange your light into two independent but identical banks.

Or consider powering lights from DC if that's an option.

2 |3000