question

richardlocat avatar image
richardlocat asked

excess energy from the solar panel to charge hot water tank on a sailboat

I have sailboat with 2 solar panel 365W each , with 2 MPPT 100/30 and BMV702. On a sunny day at 10am all my (4) batteries (200A/hour each) are charged 100% and I want to use the excess energy from the solar panel to heat my water tank. (1500 W /110Vac). I have 3000W inverter from 12VDC to 110Vac. What kind of set up i need to heat up this water tank. Is victron energy has a monitor/equipment that can switch once the battery reach 100% charged to heat the water tank? If yes please provide more detail information.

Solar Panelequalisation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Does your MPPT have a load out? If so possible you can program the load out to turn on at a time of day and connect your 12 or 24 VDC heating element you would need to install in your hot water tank. You would also need to install thermostat too. It would be much simpler to just turn on your inverter and switch on the hot water tank after the batteries are full and that way your battery will top off from the solar.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic