question

offgridsystems avatar image
offgridsystems asked

Setting up different schedules of Equalisation with Lead acid batteries

I have a couple of customers who have Northstar AGM batteries on their small off grid systems. It seems from the Northstar data sheets they need equalisation every 2 weeks. Now we know the customer is never going to do the twiddly switch thing every two weeks (or even ever!), so was pleased to see the latest CCGX V2.20 firmware to include equalisation settings.

The only problem is, I cannot find anything pertaining to equalisation that I am able to initiate on the CCGX. Ticking the Equalisation box on VE Direct software is not quite enough as I'm unable to modify equalisation voltage or frequency of equalisation.

Any help greatly appreciated, as I am only able to equalise using a smart MPPT at the moment.

equalisation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
howetec avatar image
howetec answered ·

As far as I know the option currently uses Victrons default equalization settings, this will not work with the NorthStar batteries. Unfortunately there are not enough daylight hours in a day to carry out an equalisation using just the MPPT for this particular battery technology, from memory they need 16 hours at a fixed charge rate.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

offgridsystems avatar image
offgridsystems answered ·

Hi Tom.. Thanks for the reply and you'll know very well the Northstar problem with Victron Equalisation. I have a couple of customers that are getting their Northstar's sulphated, or at least going high resistance and not coping with higher current draws any more... Typical of batteries not being equalised adequately. Just need a solution, even to alleviate the situation for them.

2 comments
2 |3000

howetec avatar image howetec commented ·

Hello..I think the only way is to carry out an equalisation to try to recover some capacity. You're going to need a generator and charger (especially this time of year), it's not going to happen with solar alone! Drop me an email or give me a buzz if you want to discuss.

0 Likes 0 ·
bmuk-tim avatar image bmuk-tim commented ·

An equalization charge is only required on the NorthStar Blue+ range of batteries if they are being used in a deep PSOC application.

If the batteries are getting a full recharge to 100% every day then a equlisation charge is not needed.

It might be worthwhile (during the winter months) reducing the depth of discharge for the batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
porcini avatar image
porcini answered ·

In an offgrid pv-system you don't have the time to equalize a AGM correctly, like HOWETEC already said. That's the reason why a VRLA-Battery should never be used in a frequently used offgrid system. There are only two possibilities: Higher Voltage or a longer time of disuse.

It's a general problem, not a victron one.

1 comment
2 |3000

offgridsystems avatar image offgridsystems commented ·

Thanks Porcini.. Yes, the AGM problem is the same with all off grid systems, however Victron seem to have very little way of controlling and customising the equalisation process. I'd like to be able to change EQ voltage, regularity, etc.. This is not possible right now unless the customer does that archaic switching thing when certain dates arrive on their calendar :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic