question

doublebubble avatar image
doublebubble asked

VE.Bus smart dongle reading low voltage

We have just completed our lithium upgrade with all equipment reading the same voltage, Multiplus, 3 x mppt's and the BMV700, but the VE.Bus smart dongle is reading 0.35volts lower than everything else, we are connected in parallel with 3 x 240ah lithium batteries via busbars. I wanted to use the dongle which is placed on top of one of the batteries to read the temp which made the power cables from dongle too short. I spoke to a Victron installer who advised that the 12v connection to the Smart dongle can be connected to the pos & neg busbars for 12v power as its only to power it up so the question is connected to the busbars ok or do they have to be connected directly to the battery? All connection's have re-checked, I've read other post of reading high but not lower, can anyone shed some light on this please.

VE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@doublebubble I spoke to a Victron installer who advised that the 12v connection to the Smart dongle can be connected to the pos & neg busbars for 12v power as its only to power it up so the question is connected to the busbars ok

The pos of the Smart Dongle will be ok on the busbar, the neg connection goes through the multiplus.

Do check that the voltage measured at the busbar and battery match.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

doublebubble avatar image doublebubble commented ·
I did check with a multimeter, the voltage at the busbar and battery are the same, as with every other point, connection read 13.8v, VE.BUS Dongle reads 13.53v.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ doublebubble commented ·

@doublebubble the neg connection goes through the multiplus.

Oops, not correct. Black battery (-) connection wire with 10mm eye terminal. (to batt or bus neg)

Other than checking the fuse is a 0.5a or 1a unit, out of ideas.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic