question

ahib avatar image
ahib asked

Orion Smart 12V/24V - 10A Isolated always choosing 'float', and not charging 24V bank

Hi,

On my boat I have a 1kW alternator which charges my small(er) 12V AGM starter battery. My house bank is a pair of 210Ah 12V lead carbons in a 24V config.

So, since on long runs the starter battery is charged up within minutes, I want to use the potential of the alternator to send power to my 24V house bank. I got a 12/24-10 Smart Orion. The idea being that when it senses the 12V starter battery is full, it sends 10A at 24V to the house bank until that itself is full.

I also have a SmartSolar 20A sending power to the 24V house bank, and that's been working fine.

The problem I'm getting is:

- the solar charger is charging the 24V bank in Bulk (it rarely fills them up entirely as I use plenty of power on the move)

- the Orion 12/24V seems to be determined to almost immediately switch to Float. Nothing actually seems to be flowing into the house bank.

- the Orion is set to Charger, not Power Supply, and I chose the Gel AGM Preset 1, and the input voltage is reading 14.4V, which sounds about right since that's what the alternator will put across the starter battery terminals when the engine is running at high revs. The output voltage reads 27.6V, which seems reasonable and should surely charge the house bank. But, the SmartSolar measuring the votlage across the house bank terminals is only around 24.7-25V - so not full. A full AC charge or topped up solar charge gives around 26V on the housebank. As I said, the Orion is on Float, so despite the batteries having room, the unit doesn't seem to want to switch onto Bulk and actually start sending charge.

Perhaps the high voltage from the alternator (higher than chargers would offer the 12V system for example) is making the Orion panic? It goes without saying that when the engine is shut down, the starter battery settles back to 12.8V (full, I think)

Any ideas? Thanks.

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The Orion will go into float based on output voltage.

Please post a screen shot of the orion's settings and also the page where it shows float.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kurs270 avatar image
kurs270 answered ·

The output voltage reads 27.6V, which seems reasonable and should surely charge the house bank. But, the SmartSolar measuring the votlage across the house bank terminals is only around 24.7-25V

Either one of the devices has a big error in voltage measurement or you have a voltage drop of > 2V across your wiring from the orion smart to the battery due to too long / too thin wires or poor contacts.

Use a multimeter to measure the voltage

- directly(!) at the battery

- directly(!) at the orion's output.

If the 2 voltages are (almost) the same, there is a measurement error in either the orion or the smart solar (compare the multimeter voltages to the other ones to find out which one is wrong)

If the 2 voltages indeed differ by more than 2 V, you have a problem with the wiring.

1 comment
2 |3000

ahib avatar image ahib commented ·
Thanks for the responses. It turned out to be a dodgy terminal connection at the house bank end, and so the Orion didn't know the battery was there, or at least not able to take charge.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources