question

Neil avatar image
Neil asked

Smartshunt not reading

Ok so I'm going to try and simplify our problem without getting technical.

However for reference we have 4 renogy batteries the full victron set up with multiplus. We've been using it for 2 years with no issues.

Now the issue

We have had normal readings up until a power outage while on shore power. We went from a normal consistent reading as shown below. To now this stair step where our smart shunt isn't showing full batteries. Our batteries are at 100 percent and we're on shore power so they shouldn't be draining however, the shunt is showing a consistent drain and triggering alarms that were below the voltage threshold.

Why?

I've reset everything and triple checked my settings. I also plugged in the dongle to ensure we're up to date and the voltage and battery selection are correct.

Did the outage fry my shunt or have I got an insure somewhere? Any help is welcome.

1000006270.jpg

SmartShunt
1000006270.jpg (530.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

That behavior is typical of the shunt being bypassed for charging. Are you 10,000% sure that the charger is on the SYSTEM side of the shunt and not connected to the other side of the shunt or directly to the battery?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Neil avatar image Neil commented ·
I'll go double check but yes. It's worked perfectly for 2 years and we haven't changed a thing about our setup.
0 Likes 0 ·
Neil avatar image Neil Neil commented ·
Our entire set up is run to our lynx distributor.
0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler Neil commented ·

Are you showing a relatively consistent amps on the shunt?

Did you confirm the shunt settings are correct?

Are you running the latest firmware?

0 Likes 0 ·
Neil avatar image Neil snoobler commented ·
Yes. In the post we ensured everything was up to date and we made sure to check all the settings out volts are all reading accurately. The batteries are showing 100% with nothing connected to draw from them.

The shunt is showing a stair step in the photo above. They hit one hundred then slowly drain. Then magically they're one hundred percent again then slowly decrease. So the shunt isn't showing a consistent charge it's loosing current the staying steady then loosing current. Then once it hits 50% it starts this drain process over and over.

Everything reads 14.36 volts.

We're currently on shore power.

0 Likes 0 ·