question

nick-walton avatar image
nick-walton asked

Building a true DC-Coupled hybrid using Victron components

The current benchmark for a full-featured all-in-one (AIO) 3-phase hybrid that provides a simultaneous supply of DC from PV to loads (site and grid) and battery, in one unit, is currently the Sungrow SHT series hybrids - recently certified in Australia in March 2024:
https://info-support.sungrowpower.com/application/pdf/2024/03/29/DS_20240328_SH15_20_25T_Datasheet_V3_EN(AU).pdf

This post is for a deployment that will be on-grid for the foreseeable future so that it can sell up to 15kw to a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) to provide a return on investment beyond just the cost benefit of self-consumption.

However, at some point in the future. Perhaps 3-5 years time, this residential site may be taken completely off-grid. There is a good chance off this occurring.

The setup requires a design that includes fault tolerance in the form of redundancy in the event of a hardware failure. While on-grid a failover scenario can fall back to grid supply, but when off-grid we need true hardware redundancy and Sungrow doesn't have it.

What Sungrow allows with this model is merely a pseudo-parallel split of the site into two separate load and battery infrastructures/sub-sites, each one supplied separately by one of a pair of identical SHT hybrids.

It may be possible to install two hybrids as an active/standby pair and use an automatic transfer switch to switch from the active hybrid to the standby hybrid in the event the active fails.

But, this is not a supported design and might not be possible if their software doesn't allow for active/standby configuration and handling of the switch.

I've looked at SMA and their hybrids are limited to 10kw and cannot be combined into a smart cluster.

The key objective here is to install a singular system that is entirely DC Coupled to a unit or cluster of units that can take any DC supply and route it to where it is required. Whether to grid (while on-grid) and site loads or to battery, or all of them simultaneously.

The point in this design is that no AC Coupling is required or even recommended and loads can be supplied from PV without drawing from the battery: unless not enough PV power is available.

Is this design achievable using Victron components?

Thanks, Nick

victron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

The only way to archive the PV to the AC loads is to connect the GTI directy to the ACout of the MultiPlus/Quattro under respecting the 1:1 rule

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @nick walton

This sounds just a like a standard ESS system, with the only additional detail being the fact you will only using Solar charge controllers (dc coupling) rather than having any AC coupling (I'd suggest looking at some AC coupling, it can be cheaper and more efficient if loads are used directly from PV, ideally for heavier loads that will be on in the sun hours ie aircon).

The substations point is one Im interested in/dont know the answer to. The obvious answer is one large central victron installation with AC coupled PV at each sub location. However if you want distinct victron installations at each sub then you may need some custom infrastructure to integrate nicely. At the very least a custom monitoring system, as far as I'm aware there is a multi-system aggregator feature on VRM.

However that very much is a benefit of victron. A large portion of their code base in open source so implementing new functionality or even just creating your own monitoring systems is very easy in comparison to other manufacturers. ALl solar data stored on a locally available MQTT server. With modbus TCP support if that's preferred. And GX devices being able to run node red the possibilities are far ahead of other more closed systems.

Given your required redundancy you may want to look in quattro's rather than multiplus as your choice of Inverter/charger, as quatttro has dual AC input (ideal for Grid and Generator input allowing for additional redundancy).

Of course sizing is going to impact how many units and how complex the system becomes. Given you have quite specific criteria I would probably steer away from easysolar however the new RS models might be interesting to you (transformer less inverter and is closer to an all in one units you describe). These are newer so likely wont have the reputation that quattro/multiplus have given they've been around for years.

Not a complete answer for you but I've hopefully said a few words/device names that will give you a hand on where to search next.

Some further detail here 1. ESS Introduction & Features (victronenergy.com)

I'll follow along the topic, especially the substations query, it's something I'm interested in but never installed so curious if there's a standard go to solution.

(Happy to help with custom code if you need a hand)

2 |3000

nick-walton avatar image
nick-walton answered ·

Just wrote something up then when posted was informed of an error and none of the post was retained by either the browser or forum software.

Thanks for your replies.

2 |3000

nick-walton avatar image
nick-walton answered ·

Oh damn, this forum software just did it again - completely lost all my input I spent time writing. Who the heck designs and releases software like this? I haven't experienced forum software so bad for so long this is catching me out every time. The browser doesn't even store the draft in previous state using the back button. Unbelievable.

Software should never loose data.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I would encourage you to skill up on the victron tech. The training is free, the guides and manuals are all online and cover most of your questions.

Once you have had chance to digest this detail you are welcome to post point questions, but chances are this has already been asked and answered and can be found via forum search.

Alternatively, your local, friendly supplier can guide you.

And, your posts are being rejected as spam as you haven’t verified your account.

2 |3000

nick-walton avatar image
nick-walton answered ·

Looking at Victron's documentation for Lynx Distribution System it seems as though the physical properties of DC electricity is the essential mechanism for routing current between house load, grid load and battery load.

The Lynx Distribution System seems to split the battery (Lynx Distributor) on one side of the system controller (Lynx Shunt VE.Can) and PV, inverter and other DC loads (Lynx Distributor) on the other side.

With this system it seems that PV electricity flows into the Lynx Distributor and any load (house or grid, or both) will be drawn from this supply.

Any remaining electricity will continue to flow through the Lynx Shunt VE.Can, through another Lynx Distributor and into the battery.

It seems that if the battery is full, and PV can supply as much electricity as the load requires, no demand is placed on the battery and the system adjusts MPPT conversion to match load. Is this correct?

1715799091623.png

1715799091623.png (110.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic