question

jeanmar avatar image
jeanmar asked

OUTBOARD ENGINE STARTING/FEEDING SETUP without extra starting battery; Victron 330Ah

Hi again

As a thousands of small boaters worldwide me too want to have only one battery on my small boat with 115 HP outboard. I want that battery to be strong enough to start my engine and to have a big capacity. Victron Lifepo4 330Ah offers me 400A peak current what is sufficient for the majority of outboards.The problem is how to handle starting lead of the outboard as it is at the same time used as alternator feeding line. The solution I propose is described in the drawing. We need two good quality relays. One 500A NO starting relay ( I have ordered Tyco EV200AAANA TE CONNECTIVITY 500A relay as starter relay and one 100 NC (Normally closed) relay (harder to be found but I found two). When we want to start the engine we need to press the switch button (and keep it pressed) that will simultaneously disconnect the alternator port of BMS and connect the SYSTEM+ port and then while the switch button is pressed we need to start the engine with a key until the engine starts. When it starts we release the switch button and the alternator port is connected with an engine alternator that feeds the battery through BMS.

I want some good quality comments on this setup?

Please do not write your opinions if it is not based on some strong proofable facts

Thanks

victron-outboard-up-to-400a-boat-setup.jpg

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers