question

acdcelectrical avatar image
acdcelectrical asked

Which BMS do I need?

Hello everyone, I’m having trouble figuring out which BMS I need…

I have the following setup in a van conversion

1x Victron Orion smart 12v/12v 30A non isolated for the van alternator to charge the leisure battery

1x victron easysolar 12v 1600 with smart MPPT 100/50 with 3x victron 175w mono panels connected - each of them on its own string

1x victron BMV-712 smart

1x 260ah 12v AGM battery (https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/xtreme/xr5000/)

The battery is performing very poorly and I would like to replace it for a Victron 12.8v 330ah lithium battery, but I don’t know which BMS would be suitable

Also as a side note, i would like to be able to trickle charge the starter battery in my situation, I have read the easy solar can do this but cannot find detail on how to achieve it, and if it’s a problem having the Orion connected as I do. If anyone knows how to that would be great

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

As you have a VE Bus inverter device the VE Bus BMS V2 would be the obvious choice. However, there are 2 caveats with this.

1. This device works best with a Carbo or other GX device to shut down other charge sources. If you do not have a GX device then you may need to add additional isolators controlled by the ATC and ATD ( allow to charge / discharge) connections.

2. Without a GX device I do not know how the easy solar can shut down the solar charger.

The Lynx BMS would also work but you definitely need a GX device in that case.

In terms of a trickle charge, the manual states it has one but the diagrams in the appendix do not show it. I wonder if it is a copy / paste error from the Multiplus manual. Anyway, if you have mixed lithium house and lead acid starter you should not use the trickle charge as it follows the lithium battery voltage and will provide a permanent drain on the lithium battery due to its higher voltage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I've raised the manual issues with Victron.

It's a connection on the motherboard on mine, but that's a 24V model. Can't remember if it's marked + or battery. Can't remember where it is either, and I'm not able to check. Sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·