question

chickennuggets avatar image
chickennuggets asked

Cerbo in Motorhome

Hello Friends, first post! woo hoo!!

I work for a company that manufactures motorhomes, ones that go remote. not much time in caravan parks(nothing wrong with parks, just not what our customers do)

we use the cerbo and a seperate gps donlge for tracking. it is essential for when things go wrong so we can see where they are, and what is around them when we need to help organise parts and support.

generally they use a simple usb powered wifi dongle with a simcard... problem is when they go remote, there is no reception so we get no feedback.

this is fine though, because after that, they use starlink.

our issue is, due to the fact that the little usb powered dongle is still broadcasting wifi(with no data due to no reception) the cerbo wont switch over to the starlink wifi..

2 possible solutions that i can think of,

1, easiest is, wifi priority... can you make it so the cerbo will be connected to the starlink wifi as a priority?

so connected to usb dongle, then when starlink network appears, it switches to starlink?

2nd way, something that once, starlink is powered on(240v) it will then cut power to the usb dongle.

sorry for the long story, sometimes i think its important to know the reason someone wants to do something.

-Matt

cerbo gxwifi
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·

Hi @ChickenNuggets

My first guess for a complete setup would be a low powered router/fail over network switch that has down detection built it that will swap between 4g and starlink.

Or you go the route you plan and add a script on the cerbo that periodically checks the connections to an external site. If that fails then connection is confirmed down and the script changes connection.

I've not looked recently but think cerbo uses connman as it's network manager.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
xxn5ac avatar image
xxn5ac answered ·

This is exactly what I do in my 5th wheel and mine seems to switch effortlessly between cellular and Starlink. I use a cellular USB dongle with a MVNO SIM card (data only, 1GB/mo) and thenI have logged in over my Starlink with WiFi on the Cerbo so it knows both and uses whichever. I don't know that there's anything I did that was different to enable this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources