question

jonezy73 avatar image
jonezy73 asked

I have just installed VE kit in my sprinter and am unsure as to how to configure it for the best.

Have installed 300w of solar and mains hook up. Multiplus 2, Smart solar, cerbo GX, Orion Smart, smart shunt and VE bus smart. We are running compressor fridge, extraction etc but not much else. Does the system need configuring to enable it to work effectivel?

VE.Bus Smart Dongle
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
Moved to questions and answers
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

This is a huge topic and the manuals and some Victron Youtube videos will provide lots of information.

The Smartshunt will need configuring for a lithium battery and your capacity adding, see the manual. One difference I would recommend is setting the charged voltage to 14.0V rather than the default to avoid inadvertent synchronisation to 100%.

You will then want to set up the SmartShunt as the battery monitor on the GX and enable DVCC with SCS and SVS enabled so all devices use the SmartShunt readings. Again info in the manual.

The GX needs to have "Has DC System" enabled, it is somewhere in settings, see the manual.

The Multiplus and MPPT will need to be set for lithium batteries, use Victron default as the starting point.

Register for a VRM.account, set up internet access on the GX and link to your VRM account to monitor and record data. Set up 2-way communication so you can control things remotely. You can also enable the remote console on VRM so you can get to a virtual screen the same as the physical one on the GX.

You do not mention using the alternator to charge the lithium batteries, if you plan on that you will need an Orion DC to DC charger between the starter and lithium batteries.

I am not familiar with the VE Bus BMS but do not believe that there is much to set up on it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic