question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

Pace BMS (I think) with CERBO

Dear All

I bought an additional battery pack with a PACE b.m.s. (I think). On the input site it has two 485 ports, one CAN and two 232 ports. Additionally it has a red toggle switch if you have multiple packs as shown below in picture.

I have a CERBO GX connected to it.

The question I have, what is the correct port to connect to battery and Cerbo.

Do I connect to CAN (battery) and BMS-Can on Cerbo side?

Within the manual of the battery it states that wire 4&5 should be repinned to 7&8 at Cerbo. However, I spoke to a sparky and he said just connect it with normal LAN cable.

Lastly, while playing around on CERBO, I see options for BMS-can (500k/b) and VE-CAN (250 / 500 k/b). What should this settings be if I select one or the other.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

1714407159658.png

BMS
1714407159658.png (100.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

For anyone else that has the same unit, check the dips switches i.e. either 00000 or 10000 as Alexandre suggested above.

Also, remember to use Type A or Type B cable from battery to CerboGX (BMS-can port).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

delf67 avatar image
delf67 answered ·

I have Leoch batteries that have a Pace BMS and I connect the BMS.Can on the Cerbo to the CAN port on the battery with a Victron type A cable (a standard ethernet cable didn't work).. The battery has to have an address set with the DIP switch or the Cerbo doesn't see it (despite the Leoch manual saying an address of zeros should be used for a single battery). The port speed is 500kbps.

2 comments
2 |3000

groningen avatar image groningen commented ·

@delf67 @Alexandra

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

Indeed the manual states all dips to Zero's.

If I may ask, what is your dip setting on your Leoch?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ groningen commented ·
I would start with all zero.

But if not then 1 is on.

1 Like 1 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Alexandra

OK, thank you very much

Also, I think I "discovered" an important pin (not only Can-H & Can-L), but the ground which needs a specific pin(s) as shown on Victron website (under type A).

Interesting these Pace bms's and their settings.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
The ground is the only difference between type a and b.

To eliminate the difference between the two cables, you can run with no ground until you work out the rest of the details.

1 Like 1 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Alexandra

Ok, will do and report back.

I Have a feeling that I might have to download the "bms software" of the battery to change the settings to Victron.

The only reason I think this is that the Manual from the battery has a one line sentence mentioning bms software tool.

3 comments
2 |3000

delf67 avatar image delf67 commented ·

Leoch supplied me with BMS software (PBmsToolsV3.0.13) to change the battery settings/ update firmware. They also supplied a USB to RS232 lead.1714414982047.jpgTheir tech support told me that by default they use Pylontech protocol, but could be configured to use others. The default settings worked with the Cerbo once I'd set the address to 1 with the DIPs.

1 Like 1 ·
1714414982047.jpg (2.9 MiB)
groningen avatar image groningen delf67 commented ·
@delf67

Ok, nice of them to supply the rs232. I will have to search for a usb / 232 cable.

Dip switch noted, will report back.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sounds right.

I think there is a post in the recesses of diysolar forum about that as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@delf67 @Alexandra

All up and running, thank you very much for the assistance.

Toggle switch should have been on 1.

2 |3000

groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@delf67 @Alexandra

I thought all is up and running, but it seems that it is not the case.

I connected pins 4/5 & 7/8 and flipped the DIP to 1. Got a Percentage reading and voltage.

Unfortunately, no AMP reading on CERBO.

So, do I have to add ground to pin 3? (Type A cable).

I downloaded the battery manual and it states "only pin 4/5 and 7/8. They do not mention Ground.

?? help i guess

2 |3000

groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

Also, I see the below modules (7 offline). Is this correct?

1715258861869.png

1715258861869.png (50.5 KiB)
8 comments
2 |3000

@Groningen

No that's not great. Check your dips. (Or interlink cables)

It sees one battery and it is blocking charge. So there wont be amps.

Don't stress about the ground.

Are these home made cables? If so then ground is the usually one way to test. Since most testers need the ground (Sorry slightly conflicting.) But there is some comms so don't worry right now.

The bms only needs the two points if that is what is described. For comms

1 Like 1 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Alexandra is right. First make sure all modules are online and no module is blocking charge.
0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image groningen Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra

Well, I owe you a beer. Not sure which side of the globe you are, but if I am close, I will try to make it happen.

@Alexandra @Fideri

So what happened ..... Not sure, but here it is...

I made a new wire with ground, Type A. However, as soon as I read Alex massage, it prompt me to check the dips again. So OK, I put all to Zero's. .......PRESTO it shows Volts, Amps and Watts. It also stops charging at full capacity.

HOWEVER, it still shows me 1 online and 7 Offline.......?????? Any idea

Now what is not so clear, during installation, Zero's was showing nothing in CERBO and hence I made it 10000 at which point I could see Volts and some RX TX readings.

Now that it is 000000, I can see everything ????

But, it is charging and discharging so I guess all is good.

Also, the manual stated 000000 so again, not sure why it did not work the first time.

Here is the unit link below. That said, I see it is relabeled a few times depending on market/Geo.

https://genixgreeneurope.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Genixgreen-ES-BOX12-Datasheet.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri commented ·
@Groningen

Looks like you still have issues. I use BSL Batteries which, as I understand, also use Pace BMS. All modules are shown as online. BSL gave me the software "PBMS Tools". Note that there are many versions and the software might be tweaked for specific batteries. I used the Victron type b cable as per the manuals. DIP address 0000 didn't work despite what the manuals say, even with only one module. So I started from 1000. Note that all modules must be interlinked with a patch cable and have different DIP addresses.

F.

0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image groningen Fideri commented ·
@Fideri

Thanks for the massage. Indeed, I double checked with Technician if the software is set to Victron / SMA.

I only have one battery (5kw) so I am not sure why it shows 7 offline.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ groningen commented ·

@Groningen

I find it interesting that the batteries dont each need addresses. As @Fideri mentioned BSL use pace and their dips each need to be set on each battery for all batteries to go online. (By pylon don't)

Other weird thing i can note is to do with patch cables, the ones with metal shields mess with inter battery comms. So stick to the plastic rj45 ones.

7 offline means that comms has stopped after number 1. (But at some point all 8 were talking since it knows there are 8)

What ports are you using for the inter battery links. Maybe the order between ports is a problem?

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri groningen commented ·
@Groningen

Showing 8 modules when you only have 1 module might be an error in the Deye firmware. Not a big deal right now but it might in future. You may not trust the figures Deye generates. With PBMS Tools, you are able to see what the BMS sees. Most likely, it is seeing 8 modules which is weird. Better to take up the issue with Deye.

F.

0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image groningen Fideri commented ·

@Fideri

I will phone the supplier and check what he saying.

Will report back on this.

I see under the BMS (within VRM) it displays the name ES box12

Not sure if this rings a bell to someone that know BMS's and their pro/con's.

0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Alexandra

Yes I agree with the dips being weird. Yes, I have a plastic RJ45 in the port.

Previously I had a bunch of shielded and non-shielded cables and it seems that they are all ok with VE-Bus ports.

Do you think the shielded cable will be better off (For battery com's) if one places a ferrite ring around it?

I see in the bumf (ad paper) that they claim up to 8 units can be placed in parallel with com's. So maybe in the factory they had 8 during quality check and hence, it still sees 8????

As shown in the picture above, it has two 485 ports, one CAN and two 232. I am running with can so only one port for it. I only have one battery installed currently.

So I am not 100% about the inter battery links (in your question) as I only have one battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

I brought it up @Groningen as I had a BSL stack that I had a shielded patch cable in. The stack count stopped at that particular battery. (Dips all set) Changed the cable and the whole stack appeared online.

Also to note that you cant cross cable. As an explanation, so rs45 to rs45 interlink, if in port 1 next battery in port 1. If i went from 1 to 2 no comms.

0 Likes 0 ·