question

sjors-heikoop avatar image
sjors-heikoop asked

Connecting a MPPT to a Quatrro-II with a Cerbo

Dear fellow Victron users,

On my ship I'm using a Quattro-II (24-5000) combined with a Cerbo to power my house loads. From a 10 kWh bank of AGM batteries. To gain some more generator independence I am adding about 1200w of solar via a MPPT 100/50.

The problem I'm running into is with connecting the MPPT to my cerbo. I have connected my MPPT via VE.direct and had hoped it would follow the charging state of my Quattro. But from what I have found online you can only use the temperature and battery voltage through DVCC. This way it wound automaticly sync it's charging with the Quattro, right? (since ESS is not recommended for ships)

My question is: What is the best way to intergrate the MPPT to my system software wise?

Should I just copy the battery settings from my Quattro to my MPPT?

Is ESS on a ship is discouraged?

Thanks for helping in advance!

cerbo gxESSMPPT SmartSolarDVCCQuattro-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Sjors Heikoop

All components should be programmed with expected charge voltages and battery chemistry.

And no with not intelligent batteries the components still follow their own charge algorithms. See the manual for DVCC. Yes temperature data is shared through DVCC.

Second wind solar priority is designed for boats so get onto that. Update firmware etc. Easy to set up.

ESS is for fixed installations because it can feed back and keep things on the input live. (So not desirable when plugging into shore). Needs to also comply with grid codes etc.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Sjors Heikoop

I have a similar setup on my boat. And over years have developed a philosophy on how best to run it. Minimizing the genset runtime is first priority, so it needs to be loaded up while it's running. I schedule any planned loads to happen then, and best earlier in the day when there's room in the batteries (before solar winds up).

I never run it beyond Absorb stage into Float, can't keep it loaded up then. So it's set to a flat charge V, which is 0.1V lower than Absorb in the mppt, that allows the mppt to have priority. That means both chargers have different aims, and don't need syncing. I shut the genset down when charge tapers somewhat and I think solar can finish off the batts and handle background loads.

The last thing I need is ESS, but there are other Assistants I use for switching in loads on good solar days and while genset is running.

I added a Smartshunt when they were first introduced. That was the true eye-opener when I could actually see what was going on. Saved it's purchase price in genset runtime in just weeks. Highly recommended.

I use all 3 main functions of DVCC, that and the shunt really completes an installation, keeps it 'tidy'.

2 |3000