question

Tony avatar image
Tony asked

Phoenix Inverter 375watt no load power consumption is 23watts

I have Phoenix Inverter 12/375 watt inverter. With no load connected to the output, the inverter consumes 23 watts from the 12V battery. Is 23 watts excessive power consumption for an inverter that has no load connected?

Phoenix Inverter
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Tony

What are you measuring the draw off the battery with?

0 Likes 0 ·
Tony avatar image Tony Alexandra ♦ commented ·
From the blue tooth connection to the inverter
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Nicolas Trejahn avatar image
Nicolas Trejahn answered ·

Yes, that is excessive. The data sheet states 5,6 W for a VE.Direct 12/375. What is the reading when you enable Eco-Mode? Do you have a Smart Shunt so you can measure the real draw?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tony avatar image Tony commented ·
I am measuring the power usage by connecting the inverter to the battery via a 500A smart shunt. The smart shunt is connected to a Cerbo GX. I have disconnected everything else so that the inverter is the only load connected to the battery other than providing power to the Cerbo GX.
0 Likes 0 ·
Tony avatar image Tony commented ·
The power usage is the same in eco mode.
0 Likes 0 ·
Nicolas Trejahn avatar image Nicolas Trejahn Tony commented ·
In ECO Mode without a device running the consumption should go down to 0 W. In my configuration only my fridge is connected to the Phoenix with an ECO mode search interval of 63 sec (the maximum possible) and an ECO mode search time of 0,16 sec. During the 63 sec the Phoenix displays 0 W, during the 0,16 sec search it displays 4 W. These values are from the Victron Connect App, not the Shunt.

I bought the Phoenix exactly for that reason: my 24/800 has an idle consumption of 8 W, in ECO mode it is 0 W.

Sounds as if your device is defective, but I am not an expert.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tony avatar image Tony Nicolas Trejahn commented ·
I also have a phoenix 12/500, that with no AC load it has a DC input of just 4 watts. That is why I am suspicious of the 12/375 inverter, because of the excessive power drain with no AC load.
0 Likes 0 ·