question

mime avatar image
mime asked

use energy sensor on AC IN coupled inverter to enable charging and limit AC1 usage

I have the following setup with AC coupled on input and output (see below), with blue components genuine Victron parts.

Inverter 1 output is measured with a victron AC current sensor, which is coupled to the Aux1 input of the multiplus. The VRM portal detects correctly how much power inverter1 is generating through the use of the AC current sensor.

But the multiplus does not use the available inverter 1 power for charging the battery. Only inverter 2 power is used, which is AC out coupled.

Also, when the grid is enabled, the multiplus is configured as pass-through, even though in the venus image I configured it as self consumption.

To summarise; I want

- all inverter 1 + 2 power to be used for powering the loads

- all remaining inverter 1 + 2 power to be charging the battery together.

- use as much inverter 2 power as is offered on the AC out, and take the rest from inverter 1 on the AC1 input.

- the multiplus not to use any grid supplied power at all for load powering or charging; only use as much as the current sensor is measuring from inverter 1

1712864057641.png

battery chargingAC PV Couplingess settings
1712864057641.png (47.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@mime

You need a cerbo for better control and connectivity.

Do your PV inverters get some control from the GX you do have?

Move the AC sensor to the grid. If your PV inverters don't have communication to the GX, get an energy meter (that connect to the GX) to read out the PV production from PV 1 and PV 2 (one each).

Install ESS assistant to control the rest of your intended desires.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mime avatar image
mime answered ·

Hi Alexandra, thanks for getting back.

The AC out coupled inverter is controlled (turned on/off) by the multiplus using frequency shift.

The AC in coupled inverter cannot be controlled, but I don't care if the excess goes into the grid, I get paid a tiny amount for that.

I have installed the ESS assistant on both the Multiplus, and enabled also on the Venus image running on the raspi.

I think I'm going to try to get it all working in Node Red instead.

2 |3000