question

jason-frank avatar image
jason-frank asked

Installing Smart Shunt 24 volt

Sorry for the poor pics where do I install the shunt in my system?pxl-20230903-155729393.jpgpxl-20240407-180302678.jpg

SmartShunt
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Jason Frank You can download the Quick Install Guide here. Diagram 7.

Wiring Unlimited might be useful.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

I'm assuming you've read the whole manual. From what I can see how about the plywood shelf the batteries are sitting on?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Jason Frank A couple of safety concerns.

As per battery label, battery produces explosive gas. Make sure that box is ventilated.

Is that a light built into the top edge of the box? Good ignition source for those explosive gasses.

Battery fusing is not optional. The striped cable also needs a fuse.

Red cable at the 12v terminal needs fusing. (If you are running a 12v load on that, you will damage the battery, best to use a 24 > 12 converter)

Your clamps you have used to parallel the batteries is ordinary, also needs to be insulated to prevent accidental shorts.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Agree with the comments about this installation. In addition the batteries need to be clamped down.

Smart shunt goes in the battery negative. To do this you need to join the left battery poles together, connect the battery side of the shunt to the joined cables. All other negative connections must be moved from the batteries and go to the load/system side of the shunt.

Shunt positive goes to battery positive.

But this installation needs professional attention.

2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The inverter should not be in the same compartment as the batteries either, this should be in a separate space so it is not cooling the internal electronics with vented battery gases, nor passing these over 230V components.

2 |3000