question

tas6 avatar image
tas6 asked

Ev charger when off grid and batteries full

Fully off grid with colour gx quattro 10kw 12 x 2000c pylon tech

4kw panels on 250/85 dc charger + 2 X 12kw panels (8.2 fronius throttled to 5kw)

when batteries are full ev charging reduces significantly because victron is increasing ac frequency to throttle back solar production

would it not be very simple for the charger in auto mode just to increment charging current (1 amp at a time) when the frequency goes above 51 hz

alternative would be to have an additional setting on the ev charger to allow discharge or current draw from batteries/mains when batteries above 95 %

I appreciate that lots of things are possible by rolling sleeves up and self programming but I chose to buy an adaptive ev charger from victron which I believe should cover the normal operating of an off grid situation

offgridAC PV Couplingev charging station
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

But the EVCS is doing that already, it should start without grid if the SOC is higher than the configured value, and it allows discharging from the batteries also up to the configured value. Make sure your EVCS is updated!

1712761426798.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1712761426798.png (84.0 KiB)
2 Answers
prein avatar image
prein answered ·

Is the charger responding to the frequency or the car?

An evse is nothing more than a plug with somme current limiting control. The car is the one accepting the input. So check if the evse is giving full power. If so, it's the car..

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nobody said anything about "frequency of the car", I'm not even sure what you mean by that
1 Like 1 ·
prein avatar image
prein answered ·

A car charger, which is also a battery charger, can also be the one that does not accept a frequency of above 50 Hz.

The charger built in your car (to make 230VAC, 400V DC) can be of suspicious quality, as seen in many car manufacturers (even the very luxurious ones)

So my question is: is the strange behavior coming from the victron evse, or is the car not accepting the ac input.. (Because of frequency >51Hz)

Not a strange question right?

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes, it's a good question indeed.

But I don't believe that's what he wanted to say. He said that the EVCS is not starting to charge, so probably something is not correctly configured
0 Likes 0 ·