question

wesley-corbet avatar image
wesley-corbet asked

4th Inverter for battery charging with a Generator

Hi all,

I have an existing 3 phase on-grid, ESS installation consisting of 3 x MPII 48/5000, 1 x 450/200 charger, 1 x CCGX and 6 x Pylontech US3000's.

My customer would like to add a 4th inverter/charger for charging the batteries using a 1 phase generator.

Question, to comply with Pylontech's warranty conditions, ie managed charging, how can I set this up to comply?

I understand the 4th inverter can be setup to independently charge, but without the comms link to the Pylontech BMS, no battery warranty.

I have read previous posts on putting 1 phase into the master L1 of the 3 phase system (without installing the 4th inverter/charger) however it doesn't work for ESS systems.

Any ideas much appreciated.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
It already doesn't fully comply. The system battery bank is too small for the inverters.

You might as well set it up to independently charge but it you will need to make a way where the batteries are not being over amped.

In theory though if you are generator charging there is the assumption that there is not enough solar or grid available. So shouldn't be a problem contributing 70A to a 222A bank even with a bit of solar assistance.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
wesley-corbet avatar image
wesley-corbet answered ·

Thanks for the reply Alexandra. It doesn't fully comply with what? The system has been in operation for a number of years without any issues. Yes, the purpose of the generator is for when there is not enough solar and grid has failed.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
5000 x 3 = 15000 ÷ 48v is 312A. I would have installed more battery there using the US3000 to meet the nominal current requirements.

With DVCC working the system tries not to punish the battery.

I have seen pylons work great until they don't. Year 4 is where things start to be noticed.

So if you are confident that you are not going to be overamping the battery on charge then you can add the 4th one.

0 Likes 0 ·