question

jreich2609 avatar image
jreich2609 asked

DIY Solar Whole Home Solution Gen + Critical Services

Hi there -

I need some assistance in designing a system that must meet several requirements. This discussion is NOT about the number of solar panels, etc. I am focusing on the pre-wiring necessary during new home construction to tackle those steps later.

The house will have a 400 AMP service in the pump house location. From there, the service will split into (2) 200 AMP services that will go into two panels in the garage. To supply backup power for both the well system and the home - the current plan is to install a 400 AMP Generac transfer switch at that location. A propane generator will be installed down the road to supply that service.

In addition, this initial contact point seems like an excellent place to install an AC-coupled solar system. AC is being considered, as I have no interest in storing solar energy for later use.

We are obviously grid-tied, and our goal is to decrease our power bill and replace it when possible. However, we are not interested in long-term battery storage, which would likely make more sense with a DC-coupled system. There is an exception, though, that complicates things.

Several CRITICAL switches in the home cannot disrupt service during the time it takes for the power outage and the generator to kick on and provide service. For this discussion, let's assume I need to gap 5 minutes reliably. These critical services will include (2) 30 AMP breakers and (1) 20 AMP breakers. This will power critical technology, so the pulls on the 30 AMP breakers will always be decently significant.

This means I need an inverter in the system with an appropriately sized battery to cover the 100 AMP sub-panel with these switches inside it. Again, I am not too concerned with the size of the battery and things of that nature. The battery capacity can be expanded to meet the actual need of service.

So my questions:

1. What AC coupled system would be the best-recommended system to install for the house with appropriate sizing (48v system) to cover the home?
  2. What system would best recommend providing a GAP to critical services when grid-tied power becomes unavailable? But before the generator can kick in to provide coverage?

Also, I welcome to any feedback or additional thoughts. This is a fact-finding exercise to gather input.

Thanks, all!

Generatorsystem designmultiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

@JReich2609 As a new member we would encourage you to familiarise yourself with our guidelines.

We don't like this to be the first response to a new member, but design topics are not encouraged on the community.

For various reasons, some of which are noted in our guidelines.

You really need to consult with your supplier who is skilled and trained to assist you, rather than wade through the depths of internet opinion.

There are many resources for you to skill up on, free training videos at professional.victronenergy.com for one, the ESS manuals etc.

I hope you understand.

Focused questions about specifics in a system are welcome, but such broad help-me-design topics will tend to be closed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic