question

simon-jn-pt avatar image
simon-jn-pt asked

Fan never comes on - EasySolar 48/3000/35

My Fan never comes on-

at what point / how / by what is the fan triggered?

How can it be diagnosed?

The casing literally gets too hot to comfortably touch,(*) I have had the intermittent Temp LED and on one day a constant Temp light.

If this where a laptop it would be going straight back to the manufacturer: If it is getting too hot - (for ANY reason) then the fan should come on - surely!

(*)This is NOT a ventilation/ load issue & the EasySolar < 2 months old

EasySolar All-in-Oneerror
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Simon. This isn't normal. I've an Easy 48/5000 and *suspect* the fans come on based on load. They rarely do given my modest loads, and are large and very quiet. But they do come on if I load'er'up.

A hot casing is of concern. Talk to your supplier. Just the fans may be a simple on-site fix, but go whatever fix you must..

10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

simon-jn-pt avatar image simon-jn-pt commented ·

Thanks - I have already contacted them & am awaiting a site visit - I have mentioned the case heating to them before (before the Temp light came on) it gets hot enough that it is uncomfortable to keep fingers on it for more than a couple of seconds... I just wondered if there was a way to test the fan (other than having to max out the load !) - at the moment I am pointing my own fan at it!

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ simon-jn-pt commented ·

That's too hot. Even when my fans run I can't detect heat in the airflow. Cucumber cool. Run your own fan and torment your supplier.

0 Likes 0 ·
simon-jn-pt avatar image simon-jn-pt JohnC ♦ commented ·

After inspection, My supplier agrees that it is not right at all -

The bad news is that it has to go back & there is no 'Like for like' courier exchange under guarantee: so that means (being totally off-grid) I have to revert to pure backup generator power for almost four weeks: and that is a lot of $$$'s in fuel.

I am just so so glad I opted to have my Supplier do all my installation work - it is a good 'insurance' policy - it has cut the overall hassle by a factor of 90%

- and after reading these groups: it shows me what an ignoramus I am !!

Thanks for your advice - It's great to have a benchmark that reassures me that I am not being a total numpty :-)

0 Likes 0 ·

Don't for a minute put yourself down Simon. You've had the nous to detect an issue rather than drive the unit to self destruction.

But I feel for you. I've wondered before what I might do if my own 48kg unit had an issue. Supplier a day's drive away (that's a day each way), and my courier would groan, along with the coupla burly mates needed to shift it.

There must be a better way, at least for something a simple as a fan(s). Now I wouldn't even mind sending a hefty deposit if they coughed (say) a new mainboard to fix it. But some of this kit isn't something you can take to the local post office and pay for a few stamps. Perhaps something that Victron could look into improving.. not all of us have a Victron dealer handy.

But at least you're not on a slow boat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean..

0 Likes 0 ·
simon-jn-pt avatar image simon-jn-pt JohnC ♦ commented ·

Humm.. there is a better way :-) - Courrier exchange -

I had a new transfer-box eat itself on my Land Rover Defender < than 600 miles new (and supplier fitting) & having crossed the channel from the UK into France ... After the (UK) Supplier saw photos of the disintegrated bearing in the oil - they put a new one on a pallet that arrived with me <36 hours later, just giving me time to remove the broken one (in the snow!) . The truck arrived (at the campsite in France), we opened the palet, forklifted the new one out (forklift on the truck) - bunged the old broken one in the palet & off the truck driver went to deliver the same pallet back to the supplier.

Now - 'That' - is how it should be done -

I have done it with laptops (Dell & HP) & even boots where they sent the wrong ones! (obviously "No return = No delivery"... The driver just checks/records the serial number of the returned part)

If they can do it for a €750 car part (admittedly essential for progress!) - I have to wonder why (with a company the size & reputation of Victron) I am going to have to wait approx 4 weeks for a replacement €2200+ Victron unit, which in this instance (to me at least) is equally essential.

I am no moaner/problem customer but - boy oh boy - If I did not have the backup genny I would be right royally shafted!

[Note to Victron Customer services : 'Courrier exchange' solidifies reputation and leads to happy punters :-) ]

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ simon-jn-pt commented ·

Can your supplier loan you a used/secondhand inverter?

Or do you a good deal on small inverter to get you through?

0 Likes 0 ·
simon-jn-pt avatar image simon-jn-pt klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Hiya - My supplier did think of that: but he does not have anything available in 48v + being an 'Easy Solar' it means that my MPPT & 'Line in' Charger have all has gone as well ! + the panels are now configured for the 48v MPPT. As far as buying one is concerned - Money is tight because I am already committed to 5.5kw of LiFePO BYD batteries that were meant to be installed at the end of this Month! - "Easy" seems to have some inherent complications ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ simon-jn-pt commented ·

Oh my, you have lost everything :(.

Inverter/charger, Mppt, ac + dc distribution...

Bugga.

0 Likes 0 ·
simon-jn-pt avatar image simon-jn-pt klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I do have the Genny - but that's freaking expensive to run for four weeks. It's not that I don't understand that things can go wrong. It's the three to four weeks to go through the supply chain. As I said before, there are so many better ways to handle this. (I also think that & it would be logical, that Victron are a 'JIT' company on these units - an order comes in and the unit is built from a parts bin. : it's certainly how Compaq did it back in the day )

0 Likes 0 ·

Maybe borrow a 12V/24V inverter and any-ole cc from your supplier, reorganize your/his batts and plug on. Gotta be better than 4 weeks of genny.. groan..

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic