question

geoffr avatar image
geoffr asked

Orion XS 12|12-50A Location

I'm looking to install a Orion 12|12-50A between my house bank and thruster. Do I understand correctly that it should be as close to the bank it is charging (Thruster) as possible?

If there any problem with under sizing the incoming wire (House->Orion) (but still able to carry 50A, but a voltage drop). I'm thinking since it's a buck/boost it should be able to "deal" with the voltage drop...

orion dc-dcorion xs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Under sizing leads to heat as well as voltage drop. You'll need to calculate. And check the cable operating temperature specs.

I'm assuming the source and Orion can cope with the power loss.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

geoffr avatar image
geoffr answered ·

Yes - AWG10 has a max of 51A (inside engine comp) or 60 according to Anchor. I haven't been able to find the de-rating when using a duplex wire thou :(

I am planning on derating the Orion XS as my battery can only be charged at 45A, so I'll probably de-rate to 40A, so my current AWG10 duplex wire should work until I can upsize it (a huge job).

2 |3000