question

kodax avatar image
kodax asked

Will the Victron Orion XS 12/12-50A DC-DC drain my starter battery?

I have a sailboat with a AGM starter battery and Lithium house batteries.

My planned setup was to have my two engine dynamoes (old Valeo 60A, not "smart") and Victron MPPT solar charger connected to my starter battery, and a Victron Orion XS 12/12-50A DC-DC to charge my lithium batteries when the voltage on the starter battery is above 14V.

But will this maybe drain my battery when the input current from dynamo/MPPT is below 50A? Or will maybe the DC-DC make the starter voltage soon drop below 14V, turn itself off, starter voltage will then go below 14V, DC-dc will restart, sdtarter voltage will drop etc etc.?
Or is there maybe some smart functionality, making the DC-DC not pull anymore ampere than what my BMV712 measures comming in?

orion dc-dcdc-dc chargerorion xsorion smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kodax avatar image
kodax answered ·

I guess this is where the magic happens:
"3. 2 → 3: If VIN ≤ Vshutdown, the charge current will be reduced to prevent VIN to drop below Vshutdown. Manual - Orion XS 12/12-50A DC-DC battery charger Page 12 Operation, configuration and monitoring"

So all good, not so dumb this smart charger :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Orion XS product page

Orion XS datasheet

Orion XS manual (html)

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic