question

sags65 avatar image
sags65 asked

Smart Battery protect failure

We were bringing up our anchor with both engines charging the batteries via the alternator, there was no unusual loads or strains on the anchor and the 220A smart battery protect burnt out. There was a 125A fuse that did not blow.
we had the unit replaced at a high cost to us, labour ,marina etc.

I have subsequently watched the loads with the anchor coming up they seldom reach 40A. With the engines off a maximum was 100A.

I have lost confidence with this unit, I am wondering if there has been a faulty batch ? Should I go to a Lynx set up instead?https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Smart-Battery-Protect-65-A--100-A--220-A-EN.pdf

Any information would be appreciated

Steve

Battery Protectlynx bms
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Has it been installed respecting the below? A system diagram will be use useful.
"The Smart BatteryProtect is a uni-directional device. It can only deal with current in one direction, so either current to a load, or current from a charger, but not both currents at the same time. In addition to this, current only can only flow from the IN terminal to the OUT terminal. In case of use with a load, the battery connects to the IN terminal, and in case of use with a charger, the charger connects to the IN terminal."

1 Like 1 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@Sags65 a link to the product would be useful, as your product description is vague.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers