question

morganmac avatar image
morganmac asked

SmartShunt IP65 - What is MidPoint Monitoring

img-0342.jpeg

Is it a mistake that the image is showing positive connected to negative? I don’t understand how that would work?

SmartShunt
img-0342.jpeg (200.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
delf67 avatar image
delf67 answered ·

The batteries are in series to double the voltage. The "positive to negative" connection is the mid point, hence the image title. Assuming they are 12V batteries, that is a 24V system.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

morganmac avatar image morganmac commented ·
In parallel configuration can you do midpoint monitoring? Need to use parallel to double awh
0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image delf67 morganmac commented ·

In the example above (the 24V system) you have three 'terminals': Negative (@0V), mid-point (@12V) and positive (@24V). In a 12V parallel system you only have negative and positive, there is no mid-point to measure.

1 Like 1 ·
morganmac avatar image morganmac delf67 commented ·
Thank you again. I was hoping to use the SmartShunt to a more advanced level. Could I use the Aux then to treat the 2nd battery as a “2nd battery bank”. Otherwise not seeing a way to utilize the Aux connection. Plan is to route positives through fuses that exist to POS Bus Bar, Bat1+ and Bat2+ to POS Bus Bar, then route loads to NEG Bus Bar and then to Shunt loads and each battery NEG to Shunt battery side.
0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image delf67 morganmac commented ·
In a parallel set-up both of your batteries are at the same voltage so there is no other voltage to measure. You could get the optional temperature sensor and using the AUX input to measure that.
1 Like 1 ·