question

valden avatar image
valden asked

Smart BMS CL 12-100. Does it stop charging from the alternator due to low battery temperature?

Does the Smart BMS CL 12-100 actually stop the charging current from the alternator from passing through it and to the positive bus bar if a low temperature alarm is received from a lithium battery?

The Smart BMS CL 12-100 in my boat is installed in the usual way, with the alternator connected to the alternator post and the positive bus bar connected to the Li-ION post. This means that this BMS is the only device between the alternator and the bus bar. So if the BMS receives a 'too cold' signal from one of the Smart Lithium 12.8V batteries, does it cut the charging current from the alternator? Hopefully, the answer is 'Yes.' Is it? Thanks.

Edit: I have found this info on the product brochure for the Smart BMS CL 12-100:

"It monitors and protects each individual battery cell within the battery (or battery bank) and will disconnect the alternator, charge sources or DC loads in case of low/high battery cell voltage or high temperature."

OK, the Smart BMS CL 12-100 will disconnect the alternator in case of high battery temperature. What about low battery temperature?

The reason I am asking is that the boat will be used in the Arctic, where the temperature of the batteries is likely to fall below 5ºC on occasions. It seems that if the engine is started when the batteries are below 5ºC, the alternator will pump charge through the Smart BMS CL 12-100, even though the batteries are signalling to the BMS that they are too cold to be charged.

I am aware that the minimum 'allowed to charge' temperature can be adjusted within the batteries, using the Victron app via Bluetooth connection. However, it seems that Victron have a good reason for setting the allowed to charge temperature at 5ºC, as warranty is voided if it is set lower than this. While my batteries are no longer covered by the two year warranty, I don't want them to be damaged.

So, while I was hoping that the answer to this question would be, 'Yes, the Smart BMS CL 12-100 will stop charging from the alternator if the battery is too cold,' it seems the answer is, 'No, it won't stop charging from the alternator if the battery is too cold.'

I would really like clear confirmation about this and if possible, some detail on why the design of this BMS only cuts charging for high temperatures and not low. I have some ideas about why, along with a workaround using a relay, but I would like to hear Victron's thoughts on this. Thank you.

BMSalternator
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@Valden Question forwarded on.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic