question

captaintactful avatar image
captaintactful asked

Brand New BlueSolar MPPT 100/20 comms are HEX?

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

Initially was going to go for a SmartSolar 100/20, but being cheaper and after reading several ve direct docs, I decided the BlueSolar 100/20 ticked all my boxes, so bought one.

What I read said, by default, the controller will output text via the serial port.

The voltage on the serial port is 5v. So eliminates the need for TTL adaptor.

I have the BlueSolar in a test environment atm with a 12v 5Ah battery for power and the ve direct port wired with a JST PH 2.0 4 pin connector to a serial port on the PC.

I am getting data at 19200 baud into Realterm. With the display set to ASCII (what I've assumed would be the 'text protocol') the data is garbage. Set Realterm to display HEX and the data seems ok.

I'll capture some of the data and see if the battery voltage is in there somewhere.

Am I doing something wrong?

Has something changed in the firmware that hasn't been documented?

Is there a HEX string I can send that would tell the controller to output in text mode?

Is there an Arduino library that will handle the HEX and serial.print all the data?

TIA regards.

MPPT ControllersVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
captaintactful avatar image
captaintactful answered ·

answering my own. Mistakenly I assumed measured 5v levels meant standard rs232 with the TTL 3v for the other BMV. I have since had success using an Arduino compatible TTL to rs232 adaptor. Bit annoying and offputting that an official cable is nearly half the price of the controller, and is a necessary purchase to change the settings.

Nice to have a 5 year warranty tho.

Similar thread

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/7386/bluesolar-mppt-7515-vedirect-interface-outputs-uni.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.