question

tin-lizzy avatar image
tin-lizzy asked

Which inverters provide pass through

I have an Airstream and have upgraded to lithium batteries, added a lynx distributor, replaced the stock solar controller with Victron MPPT, added a Cerbo GX and GX Touch. I’m interested in replacing the stock WCFO 1000W inverter, with a victron model but not looking to go too crazy in terms of output. My question is, which models provide pass through capability. I have dedicated inverter outlets in the trailer and want to make this upgrade as simple as possible.

victron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Assuming by Pass through, you mean that when an external AC source is connected, AC loads are supplied from this, not the batteries.

Pass through isn't an inverter function.

But it is on the inverter chargers, i.e. multiplus and quattro ranges. Probably one of the smaller multiplus units would suit you. If you're intending to use a generator as well, look at the quattro range.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tin-lizzy avatar image tin-lizzy commented ·
By pass through I mean that the inverter feeds power to specific outlets when required (i.e. off grid), but allows shore power to feed the same outlets when connected to shore power. Hope that makes sense!
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ tin-lizzy commented ·
Exactly how I understood it.
1 Like 1 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@Tin Lizzy Smaller multiplus models have 1 x ACIN and 1 x ACOUT, larger e.g Multiplus-II has 1 x ACIN and 2 x ACOUT (ACOUT2 typically not active when off-grid) and Quattro's have 2 x ACIN and 2 x ACOUT. Out of the box when connected to the shore supply, they will all enter passthru mode, charge the batteries and supply ALL loads from the shore supply (inverter will be off unless powerassist is active to support weak shore) Without a shore supply all loads will be powered via ACOUT. You will likely be looking at the 1200VA (1000W) or 1600VA (1300W) models which will only have 1 x AC input and 1 x AC output.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic