question

maxtcmh avatar image
maxtcmh asked

Where should I put the shunt

image.jpgHi, just wondering where I would need to put the shunt in this diagram, I’m guessing either in either of the A or B spots I drew? Cheers

SmartShunt
image.jpg (1.8 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Assuming aux1 and aux2 are batteries and you want aux battery SOC etc. , this isn't going to work. In position A it will measure charge, in position B it will measure loads. In neither position will it measure SOC correctly.

The shunt should measure all current into and out of the battery, while loads which bypass the battery bypass the shunt. As @Alexandra said single connection to battery negative from shunt.

So at the batteries join the positives to a busbar which also has the charge positive and load positive and shunt positive. Join the battery negatives, connect combined neg to the battery side of the shunt. Connect load side of shunt to busbar with neg from charger, neg from loads, and ground/earth. Make sure starter battery shares the same ground/earth.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

maxtcmh avatar image maxtcmh commented ·

Alright thank you. Also wondering if this would work too then?

0 Likes 0 ·
img-1432.jpeg (89.1 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ maxtcmh commented ·
What do you want the shunt to do for you?
0 Likes 0 ·
maxtcmh avatar image maxtcmh Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Sorry should have added it to the post, needed it to read the two aux batteries State Of Charge
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@maxtcmh

By B.

Always right by the battery you are trying to measure if it is for SOC with nothing on the battery terminal except the connection from the shunt.

2 |3000