question

atomix avatar image
atomix asked

Suitable Circuit Breaker Voltage for PV to MPPT

I have a 100/20 MTTP with two Victron 200w 24v panels connected in series.

Would a circuit breaker like below be suitable to go between the panels and MTTP, as I notice the breaker is only rated for 65v (and the MTTP can take 100 max)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J0NLOS (Blue Sea Systems A-Series 20A toggle switch)

MPPT ControllersSolar Panelfuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Elimac avatar image
Elimac answered ·

It seems ok as far as I could see in this link

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7210/A-Series_White_Toggle_Circuit_Breaker_-_Single_Pole_15A

Up to ~60V or so (per pole), I use Schneider iC60H or iC60N series. So, for a 100V MPPT a double pole breaker would be ok. Hager MJT series is also suitable for that voltage range acording to manufacturer. These two brands are readily available in Europe and I consider them good options up to ~63A (125A for iC60H). These breakers are also not polarised, which is a plus.

For higher voltages I can only find polarised breakers available in Europe. We could also continue to use iC60H/N or MJT, but just with more poles in series, for example, use a 4-pole breaker, 2 in series for positive and 2 in series for negative.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

atomix avatar image
atomix answered ·

Ah I see. I could split the voltage across two (or more) poles. Now the single throw, multiple pole circuit breakers make allot more sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I wanted to combine switching function and circuit protection in a single unit to save on space and weight, but I think I'll use a separate switch and fuse for the panels.

Thanks again.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic