question

amacris avatar image
amacris asked

multiplus AC out feeding multiplus AC input

https://community.victronenergy.com/storage/attachments/2140-screen-shot-2019-03-31-at-80712-pm.jpg

I have seen this diagram and I am thinking of doing exactly the same. My only concern is that I might exhaust the new 48V lithium batteries in order to charge the old lead acid ones since multiplus is an inverter/charger

multiple inverters
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@amacris

Interesting diagram. Would you mind mentioning the source?

What would be the purpose of hooking it up like that? Are you intending on running ESS on both or using one as a UPS?

Probably better off separating the DB and choosing loads for each of them.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
amacris avatar image
amacris answered ·

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/13400/multipus-ac-output-feeding-another-multiplus-ac-in.html

I found it in victron community.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) has tested it and he mentions that it works fine. The reason I want to link them is to utilise all resources available until the lead acid batteries go off. But I do not want to charge the lead acid batteries from the lithium batteries when there is no sun.

Of course I can split the two systems but I want to examine all options available

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@amacris

I am going to re iterate what Guy said as well as it is not an approved set up. It is known as cascade. Especially with ESS assistant I can say weird stuff happens.

You can disable the internal charger on the inverter for the lead acid set up so it can't deplete the other bank charging, but a word of warning though it could end them not bwing charged correctly.

0 Likes 0 ·
amacris avatar image
amacris answered ·

First of all I want to thank you Alexandra for answering my questions.

I searched the Color GX and I found that you can change the state of Multiplus to On, Off, Inverter and Charger. Therefore I can assume that Multiplus can be set to On or Inverter (only) using programming in the GX (which I have not done before in the GX although I was a high level languages' programmer). If there is a way to detect (from the lead acid's Color GX) the generator status (from the Lithium's GX) then we can change status to On or Inverter according to the status of the generator and the system will work fine.

Is there a way to do it? If yes do you recommend it?

2 |3000

amacris avatar image
amacris answered ·

Coming back to this issue, I think that if we come to a solution, it can boost Victron sales now since customers will be able to add the new equipment (lithium batteries, inverters, charge controllers etc.) to the existing one without throwing away the existing staff which may have a few years life left. The local manufacturer of the lithium batteries is eager to come to a solution in that direction.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic