question

gcarr avatar image
gcarr asked

Dual energy Controller

Can some tell me there is a controller that can take Solar panels and Wind turbine to ensure my system is getting charged as much as possible . many thanks Garry

victron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Wind is more complicated. You tend to need a wind specific charge controller to get the most out of a wind turbine. (As the MPPT calc needs to have a delay implemented).

Some people have had success using victron charge controller with wind but I'm not aware of that being a specifically support feature (happy for someone to tell me otherwise).

Also depend how you plan on setting up the system. If you have a grid tied wind inverter you could AC couple the turbine with a victron system (assuming factor of 1 rule is applied).

In terms of charged as much as possible i dont really know what you mean? If a system didnt charge as much as possible it would just be a bad system? Or do you mean one that supports maximum power point tracking?

If so for PV that's easy, lots of charge controllers victron offer that do this. Will just need to pick a model that is sized appropriately for your PV size.

Wind as i mentioned can be a bit more tricky. I've seen folk use victron ones on the forum but not followed those threads closely. I have heard relatively good things about midnite classic for hydro and believe wind is also supported with dump load relays included in some models etc.

You can integrate midnite classic into the victron system either with a smart shunt or community made custom drivers.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gcarr avatar image gcarr commented ·
Thanks Matt, i baldy explained the " charged as much as possible " our hope is to get some charge at night time from the Wind Turibine . We have a Cerbo GX and panels and were just looking to add WInd as a backup for those times it not great weather.
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 gcarr commented ·
Ahh I see, that makes sense.

I'd take a look at wind specific charge controllers. And maybe dig into the threads on here of people setting up wind using victron charge controllers. (might find them more in modifications section of the forum)

I was almost certain charge controllers for wind needed a delay added in MPP calculation. Where with solar/pv when the charge controller changes load on system it reacts instantly so when MPPT makes change then instantly measures output to see if output increased/decreased.

Whereas wind/hydro i though you needed a delay in the calculation between MPPT controller changing load and measuring output as the turbine will first slow then output changes so need a time lag to allow for that. I didnt think victron controllers did that so thought other wind specific brands were more suited. but again happy to be told I'm wrong by someone more in the know.

I've heard better things about midnite classic but never either tried myself (would love a wind/hydro setup so I'm very jealous). Just make sure you have relevant safety measures in place of course. Dump load etc.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic