question

pmknowles avatar image
pmknowles asked

RS Smart Inverter - will not switch on

I was trying to solve an issue with a trip while using an EV charger. The Inverter was switched off and the breaker was off to. While I was working on the EV charger I heard a click (like a breaker tripping). The inverter now will not switch on. I can communicate using Victron Connect but nothing will make it switch back on. Any suggestions?

rs inverter
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@pmknowles

Am assuming the battery is ok here.

Have you started with the basics which is disconnect everything excluding the battery and seeing if it will invertert?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
pmknowles avatar image
pmknowles answered ·

Yes disconnected everything - battery at 51V - the display is off but communicates via Victron Connect (bluetooth) and Venus sees it (but not supported on VE.direct)

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

So the inverter powers on and communicates? Not quite the same as not powering on at all.

What does the app say are there any errors?

So then it is just the AC output off?

In that case there are two onboard fuses that can blow. They are user accessible and replacable. Usually though the error that is there is low AC ouptut error when they blow. The screen though I can't say why that does not light up. Hopefully it is just the fuses that is wrong it may be worse.

You connect to the Venus via CAN.

0 Likes 0 ·
pmknowles avatar image pmknowles Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I'm awaiting delivery of a CAN module. I checked the fuses yesterday and they're both OK (and there's no obvious damaged components or burning smell as if something else had blown). There are no errors in the app. Nor does turning it on in the app work. I'm sure there used to be a relay 'click' when I turned it on previously but there's nothing now. It doesn't help the the troubleshooting on the non-solar version is not as detailed as the solar version
0 Likes 0 ·
pmknowles avatar image
pmknowles answered ·

screenshot-20240306-191648.pngSo Venus doesn't see the Inverter on Canbus (it does see the 3rd party battery after the inverter). The attached screenshot from Victron Connect explains why I said the inverter wouldn't switch on. It says Off I I am unable to get it to switch On.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic