question

subdude22 avatar image
subdude22 asked

Multiple Shunts with 4 batteries in parallel.

Multiple Shunts with 4 batteries in parallel. Is this an acceptable configuration?

I have a total of 5 shunt/battery monitors.... (Circles with black bar)

The 4 orange shunts are 100amp rating... the 1 blue shunt is a 500amp rating.

my intention is to have 1 shunt for each 100ah battery to measure the individual battery

then have the 5th shunt measure the overall system.

NOTE: yes all shunts are adequate for the appropriate amperages.

And I do realize that my 5th shunt won't be able to measure any power the first 4 shunts use.

but that power should be negligible.

the Yellow triangles are breakers or fuses.

Is this a valid configuration? if not, any suggestions? Thank you.

1709220509998.png

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
furyjk98 avatar image
furyjk98 answered ·

The setup looks good. The only adjustment you need is to connect four batteries to a bus bar first, and then connect a single big cable to the 500Amp shunt, then again to a Bus bar and connect to different loads and the chargers.

Make sure the cables going into the Bus Bar before the shunt of the four batteries are close to the same length.

Those individual shunts can help you look at the individual battery's activity in a parallel connection and help you with analyzing the data from those batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

subdude22 avatar image subdude22 commented ·

Yup, I was thinking that I might need another bus bar precisely where you suggested.

Thank you for that confirmation and response.

0 Likes 0 ·