question

gondwana avatar image
gondwana asked

New LiFePO4 battery bank with Multiplus II need suggestions for Charge controller etc

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice on my setup and some changes that need to be made as I am replacing the AGM battery bank in my RV with 6 x LiFePO4 200ah and probably also need to replace the charge controller

Current Setup
Multiplus II 3000/12 240v
Cerbo GX
Touch 50
750W solar with generic MPPT controller
1000ah 12v AGM battery bank at end of life.

Every time I try figure out what I'll need to purchase and why - I end up overwhelmed with the details & more confused than I was in the first place. Very impressed with the Victron gear so far, and I am relatively literate but its also a bit more complicated than I expected and I would really appreciate if someone who knows the Victron environment system well could point me in the right direction with the following questions so I don't buy the wrong gear and waste lots of $.

1. Which Victron MPPT controller will be compatible with the Multiplus/Cerbo GX combination and allow me to also monitor incoming PV via the touch/cerbo and would I also need to use a shunt to achieve this or just the MPPT controller.
2. Is there a Victron BMS unit also compatible with this setup that will protect the batteries - or is that already part of the gear I have in place?

Happy to hear all suggestions and pro's/con's of different directions.

Multiplus-IIMPPT Controllerscerbo gxBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

I'd personally get a battery with BMS built in. Some have communication with victron system to share SoC info and other info. Otherwise you'll need a smart shunt (i personaly prefer smart shunt route).

In regards MPPT im not 100%, i imagine any with vedirect/can will work but normally the restriction is on PV side. What voltage/amps are your strings. Once you've worked out mppt size wise. choosing the model will likely be much eaier/narrower.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Gondwana Happy to hear all suggestions and pro's/con's of different directions.

Mppt choice would come down to your panel specs.

Run your panel specs through the Victron mppt calculator.

2 |3000