question

Leonard C Taft avatar image
Leonard C Taft asked

Dual Cerbo GX forming merged single Network/System possible?

I love my Cerbo GX, but as my system monitoring expands, I am soon exceeding the 15 limit of VE.Direct devices. (I understand this limit is due to Dual-Core processor limitations.) I am aware this question has been asked/answered before, but there have been many software/firmware updates since, and I am hoping it is now possible; or perhaps creative work-arounds are now possible, including RasPi, etc.; OR is a Cerbo GX MK3 in the works with Quad-Core, as in the Ekrano (limit of 25 devices)?

cerbo gxVE.Direct
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·

Hi @Leonard C Taft

EDIT just me guessing here:

The documentation just states CPU is the limit. I was going to suggest maybe having some sort of slave/master setup. Where on master gx device you have some devices and then dummy drivers and setup communication via mppt or another protocal to get the data from slave to master gx and back.

But if the CPU intensive tasks is just managing the device data/dbus etc then that wouldnt help. Only helps if the task of getting the data from the devices via ve direct is the CPU intensive task (I dont know enough to answer that).

However I'd give pi a go, i know it's not recommended for production installations but sounds like the easiest solution. I'm not familiar with what cpu is in the ekrano but the fact it's got 1gb of ram makes me think it's got a lesser CPU than a pi 4 given that has ram options up to 8gb.

1 Like 1 ·
5 Answers
Leonard C Taft answered ·

Thank you very much for your perspective and suggestion. I need to educate myself a bit more before attempting your solution. You also referenced the RPi. Has anyone tested the device limits of a RPi4 with 8gb RAM? Perhaps this would be a solution. Again, thank you.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
The OS is identical, if it is restricted in code, platform is irrelevant.

GX's can't be mastered and slaved.

I wouldn't expect a mk3 cerbo any time soon.

I don't recall any changes in recent betas nor GA releases.

It is a rather niche requirement.

1 Like 1 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Is the limit in code?

I thought the venus-os page made it sound more like CPU bound rather than an embeded limit per device hardware.

The slave master isn't a feature but i bet you could build it out but agree not the easiest solution. Also assumes that the CPU intensive element is the data being read from devices rather than storing/dbus (which i dont know if that is the case or not)

For the price of a pi might be worth just testing it.

1 Like 1 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ matt1309 commented ·
I will try get an official answer, it does state that more cpu power supports more devices, so an ekrano would be better.

It also states that you need to consider any other devices - CAN, PV inverters etc - which will also consume resources.

It would appear to be a support limitation, so help may be limited if there are issues.

1 Like 1 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ matt1309 commented ·
It is just a resource limit, but the real question - why so many devices? Something is seriously unusual with the design to require that, which creates other challenges. Personally, I would reconsider the architecture.
1 Like 1 ·

Thank you very much for everyone's input. This has been an education, and I am very new to the Victron family. To answer one question as to why so many inputs: I have had Xantrex inverters for years (decades) and currently have three (3) on my boat (a charter boat that cannot be without 120/240v at all times. Two of my current Xantex's (Freedom SW 3012) are only three years old, have been very good performers, have slightly higher power output and fairly higher charging capabilities than Victron's current line-up in the 3k size, so I am not anxious to replace them until they malfunction or at least work for a few more years. Please don't hate me (lol). However, there is no question that Xantrex is floundering in the area of interoperability and communication. Victron excels here, so as I replace equipment, I am moving to Victron. My solar controller, DC/DC charger, shunts, tank and temp sensors will soon all join the Victron family. My LiFePo4's and inverter/chargers must wait their turn. Because there is no conversion/translation between XanBus (SW generation) and Victron's VE.Bus or Can.Bus, the only alternative I see is to add several smart-shunts to monitor what my batteries and inverters are doing, so that I can monitor all electrical systems remotely and maybe get to visit my grandkids for a week (1300 miles away). (I live-aboard, moored a mile offshore 24/7 even during extended times between charters (generator charge cycles x2/day). Again, I deeply appreciate everyone's input and recognize there are most likely far superior solutions out there, so please do not be shy.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Leonard C Taft

If you're a dab hand at python i imagine you could integrate xantrex directly.

Not sure if your specific device is supported

I've had a quick look online and can see some python scripts for reading data from xantrex via serial and then get into victron system usnig custom driver.

https://github.com/jolegape/PyXantrexLogging/blob/master/xantrex_data.py

Won't solve the usb issue but might be cheaper than smart shunts.

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There were statements from Victron in another thread saying the Ekrano had a quad core, more powerful CPU., than the dual core in the Cerbo.

If you go RPi, get a fast one.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
2 |3000

I am blown away by how helpful this Victron community is! Thank you very much. Matt, the Python solution is intimidating and a challenging learning curve for this ole pirate, but it is a real fix rather than patch-work work-arounds, and holds great promise, so I will begin my education. I also appreciate the Ekrano suggestions, as a very easy fix EXCEPT my boat layout is ideal for the "Cerbo-style" split system, rather than rerouting a bunch of wires/cables from my "DC Hub" (Battery Bank, solar controller, wind generator, DC/DC charger and 2 of my inverter/chargers), to the "Nav Center" (chartplotters, radios, AC & DC main panels, controls & gauges for two generators, Xantrex System Control Panel, and my Touch-70 to control my growing number of Victron products. It is not just the labor of re-fishing all those cables, but physically it may be too crowded, and will certainly subject more data wires to high heat and EMI passing through the engine room. Not impossible and a legitimate fall-back, but not the quick-easy fix it would appears on the surface. Again, I sincerely appreciate all the feedback, as every idea is worth exploring. Anyone with additional knowledge or experience regarding Python translation from XanBus to VE.Bus (or CanBus) please weigh-in. And what is a good first read (I hope with pictures) for a guy with NO (zero) programming/coding/scripting skills???

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Leonard C Taft

In terms of learning python I've not got the best advice. Not the best at it myself.

However in terms of testing if Xanbus could get translated into victron system. I would first try editing the scripts above use a usb to serial adapter using a computer or different raspberry pi or similar. Just to make sure you can read the data via serial.

Then once you've confirmed the actual system data is retrievable. Not sure how to do it using XanBUs to Vebus but I'd personally copy another community made custom driver to save you doing as much heavy lifting/coding yourself. Not familiar with Xantex systems but sounds like you've got it setup as smart shunt in gx atm. So i would take something like the shelly power meter community made drivers. And edit it to populate smart shunt dbus values rather than energy meter values
dbus-shelly-3em-smartmeter/dbus-shelly-3em-smartmeter.py at main · fabian-lauer/dbus-shelly-3em-smartmeter (github.com)

There's a bit more detail on dbus and making custom drivers here:

howto add a driver to Venus · victronenergy/venus Wiki (github.com)

A lot of info but if you take bits from existing drivers it wont be too bad.

The one example i was going to share was the dbus serial battery that's community made. As it uses usb to serial to get data from battery bms. You could in theory tweak that one/use it as a starting point given it's closer in terms of wiring in. But the code looks very speific to batteries. So i think tweaking the shelly drivers but maybe installing the same way dbus serial battery does is the best.

Not the answer sorry but hopefully some decent resources that might lead to one.

1 Like 1 ·
Leonard C Taft avatar image Leonard C Taft matt1309 commented ·
Super helpful Matt! Thank you for all your guidance. Way over my head right now, but I will see if this old dog can learn a few new tricks. I will follow-up on the additional resources you suggest, and see where it leads. Xantrex is VERY secretive about everything, not even allowing customers0 to update firmware/software as it becomes available, so I am confident the company (now owned by Schneider) will not help, but perhaps they have a community forum also. If they are 1/2 as helpful as I have been blessed with here, I may just be able to find the kind of workable solution you suggested. Again, if anyone has any ideas or interest, please don't be shy. Thank you again, very much, Matt.
1 Like 1 ·