question

Chad Petersen avatar image
Chad Petersen asked

multiple cerbo gx to connect 6 mppt 150/35 solar controllers

The project that I am currently working on has 6 mppt 150/35 smart solar controllers. I would like to have them all being monitored using the cerbo gx and Victron Connect. I would like to use VE.Direct to connect all 6 smart solar controllers. Would it be possible to add an additional Cerbo GX on the same network, giving me the additional 3 VE.Direct ports needed to monitor all 6 mppt smart solar controllers.

cerbo gxMPPT SmartSolarVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Use VE.direct to USB cables and a USB Hub to connect all to one GX device.

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-direct-to-usb-interface

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chad Petersen avatar image Chad Petersen commented ·

I have one issue with connecting them all through USB, I am also using the touch that uses one of the USB ports.

0 Likes 0 ·
Chad Petersen avatar image Chad Petersen Chad Petersen commented ·

Sorry I didn't fully comprehend you comment the first time I read it.

your saying that I can connect a simple USB hub into one of the ports and expand my USB ports.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

The correct way to do this is to get USB to VE.Direct cables and connect the other 3 via those cables. Also allows the system to know what is really going on as the Cerbo can see all the controllers.

If you did add a another GX, it will show up as a new site in VRM, not the same site.

2 comments
2 |3000

Chad Petersen avatar image Chad Petersen commented ·

I have one issue with connecting them all through USB, I am also using the touch that uses one of the USB ports.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake Chad Petersen commented ·
You can buy a simple USB hub to give you more USB ports.
0 Likes 0 ·
the-doon avatar image
the-doon answered ·

I believe the USB for the touch is only to power it so you may be able to use a hub to make that USB port accept your 6th MPPT. I also remember something about that 3rd USB being changed so you’ll have to research whether it’s still a functioning USB or just a dedicated power only for the touch.

1 comment
2 |3000

the-doon avatar image the-doon commented ·
I just had a read of the Cerbo manual and that 3rd USB is now power only for the touch. But as Matthias is saying you can use a hub which will let you connect up to 15 VE.Direct devices.
0 Likes 0 ·