question

bladerunnervf avatar image
bladerunnervf asked

Multiplus 10k minimum battery with 9kWp PV

Hi folks, just trying to understand what I saw here

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start

That minimum battery would be 4.8kWh of 48v LiFePO4 battery per 1.5kWp PV?

so for 20x435w panels = 8.7kWp

that's (8.7/1.5)x4.8 = 27.8 kWh

So need 6 x 4.8kWh pylon us5000?

I would like my system to run from solar and/or battery during a power cut.

Thinking of RS450/200 with Multiplus 10k,

I have single phase utility supply

Multiplus-IIPylontechMulti RS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bladerunnervf avatar image bladerunnervf commented ·
PS Thanks for taking a look!
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @bladerunnervf

I think you may be confusing ac with dc coupling. Your link is for an ac inverter, yet your preference is a 450/200 charger. Both have their pros & cons, and can even be mixed. Depends on your setup as a whole, and maybe even your overall aims.

There's a little here about sizing Pylons (not your model, but should convert ok with capacity).. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

This won't accurately match your link, but it isn't really considering the frequency-fiddling/buffering needs of full ac.

There's lots of reading available on the Victron website. This one is indicative of the different ways you might configure kit.. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Booklet-Off-Grid-System-EN.pdf

Have fun choosing. But don't spend before you're absolutely sure.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bladerunnervf avatar image
bladerunnervf answered ·

Thanks for the links @JohnC, will take a look.

Because of potential build having 10 panels East, 10 panels West and a possible future expansion to add 9 on a south wall I had been thinking of using the 450/200 to provide MPPT capability for panels with ~40V Voc. I'm trying to get my mind around the victron way of doing things and how the many different component choices make sense and stand a chance of at least half-understanding any quotes I receive!

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

As @JohnC says, some of the constraints do not apply if you are connecting the panels on the DC side bc the inverter can throttle the power produced by the MPPT. E.g. I have got 6.9 kW of panels, split between an AC inverter on AC-Out and a DC MPPT and this does not violate the 1:1 rule.

Also some of the proportions are intended for mainly off-grid installations. A good way of sizing batteries for a grid connected system (with coverage of occasional power cuts) is to allow for a min of 2 hrs duration at max nominal inverter output. So I have got 10.65 kWh of Pylons on a Multi 5k which is enough for a medium-sized house.

2 |3000