question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

Lead acid settings

This might be a "easy" question to some, but if I may just confirm from someone that has more experience.

I normally run lifepo4 cells, which I am very familiar with.

However, I inherited a few Lead-Acid (48 V) units, so I am not 100% sure about basic settings.

I know the best place to start is the manufacture recommended settings, however, due to age and cycles, I am not 100% sure if this is any good anymore.

The current settings is 56 V bulk and 52.8 float with a low voltage alarm of 49.0 V.

System is a 5 kva Quattro with BMV 712.

My Question:

What is a good setting for Bulk, Float and low voltage alarm.

Something I noticed is that during the BULK charge, I can smell the batteries and they are HOT HOT HOT. Also, you can hear it bubbling if you bring your ear close to the cells.

To me this is overcharging, so I might reduce the AMP charge from 50 A to 30 A. (it is 48 V - 200 A times 2 in parallel). 0.3C equals to 60 Amps per bank, so I should be OK the the 30 A.

Any advice will be appreciated.

lead-acid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

I too am very keen on what people have flooded lead acid settings.

You may have sealed Gel

I run 12x2v 500ah set. 24v

27.2 float

29.1v for absorption. 6hr setting.

I equalize one every 6 months manually 31v.

At 29.1v, they fizz as opposed to bubble hard, but they have an automatic watering system. They're all interconnected and syphon when required.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@onrbikes

Indeed, it would be interesting. I do not think I have sealed Gel batteries as it has six "holes" with small covers on-top. So I would assume this is just normal Pb Acid cells.

Yes some might say, use the search function and yes they are correct.

However, this is used Pb batteries and it would be interesting to hear what is the "best bet settings".

One have to consider the Tail current (1 to 2%), the total Work-Done period (lets say C20 & 0.3C), absorption time, etc, etc.

So as my question earlier, I am not 100% confident.

Maybe the question should rather be, Use the Default settings or consider "expert mode" for used Pb Acid cells (and change the settings to .....).

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic