question

rrroonn avatar image
rrroonn asked

Bricked Color Control - how to recover

Hi, hoping that someone might assist.

I have a CCGX on firmware 3.14 that I was trying to configure to allow dbus access over tcp so that I can use my existing node-red instance to control it, as the CCGX doesn't support the "large" image that includes node-red.

I was following the instructions here: @victronenergy/node-red-contrib-victron

I had some errors using the suggested code:

dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/Services/InsecureDbusOverTcp SetValue 1

but I saw I was still on firmware 2.xx, so I updated that to 3.14 and tried again and this time the command did complete successfully, however, I was still not able to connect from my node-red instance, so I tried the second method:

The old way was to edit /etc/dbus-1/system.conf and add the following directly above <policy context="default">:

<listen>tcp:host=0.0.0.0,port=78</listen>
  <auth>ANONYMOUS</auth>
  <allow_anonymous

(and reboot)

I was waiting for this to reboot when the system shutdown (multiplus etc). I checked the device and the screen was showing the blue start screen. Rebooting the CCGX does not change anything. The CCGX loads the blue screen, flashed black for a second and back to the blue screen.

I figured that the configuration was somehow corrupt but can not think of any way to connect to to system to fault find and fix.

I tried recovering using the restore factory defaults procedure here (SD and USB):

17. Reset to factory defaults procedure

This had no effect.

I tried reinstalling from SD using the procedure described here:

Instruction Video - Upgrade Victron Color Control GX to firmware v2 00

But that does not behave as expected - I tried using FAT32 USB and two different FAT32 SD cards. I used the 3 fingers - holding the centre (enter) button while pressing the top 2 buttons ... holding the centre button until .... nothing ... it just does the two displays of the blue screen - like it doesn't detect the card or USB.

If there is a hard reset or way to recover to the previous firmware from this state then I would be exceptionally delighted to hear about it.

Thank you for your time.

Ron

Venus OSCCGX Color Controlfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I used the 3 fingers - holding the centre (enter) button while pressing the top 2 buttons ... holding the centre button until ...

Not the center button! The left button!

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:firmware_upgrade_to_v2

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rrroonn avatar image rrroonn commented ·

What a big difference a few millimeters makes! Thank you for pointing this out. The CCGX is now alive again.

A BIG THANK YOU.

0 Likes 0 ·