question

grt-24 avatar image
grt-24 asked

How to disable the manufactures B2B charger

I have a 2023 Fiat Ducato motohome 180 HP which was supplied from the manufacture with 2 x lead acid batteries. The dealer changed these for 2 x 150 AH Lithium batteries before we collected the vehicle. The vehicles B2B has never charged these batteries correctly so I am installing the new B2B Orion 50 Amp. I keep reading that I should disable the vehicles manufactured B2B (which has never worked anyway) for the Victron Orion to work correctly. Does any know if this is correct? Do I have to disable anything or do I just need to install this as described by Victron and all will be well? The internet is a great source of info but so many conflicting angles that I don't know what to believe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

victron productsorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Your OEM B2B charger should certainly be disabled, especially if it's not working properly, but you'd want to get in touch with the dealer themselves to have that done or at least get a wiring diagram so you can figure out how to do it yourself, or perhaps poke around for some forums specific to your vehicle where others may have run into the same issues and might have furnished wiring diagrams or instructions.
Since the vehicle is a basically new model, I'd advise starting with the dealer first just to avoid any possibility of voiding your vehicle warranty through "unauthorized modification" or any other silliness.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

grt-24 avatar image grt-24 commented ·
But the dealership I purchased the vehicle isn't capable of wiring a torch battery !
0 Likes 0 ·
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

Almost all B2B chargers should work fine if wired correctly. But if you want to replace it, that should be pretty comparable, just remove the old one and rewire.

You need to bypass the existing, you can't put 2 B2B's in series. Which B2B is installed? In Europe, it's mainly Schaudt, occasionally Redarc or Votronic which are installed.

But your dealer should be able to fix this, unless its a dealer which has no clue about what they are selling. (But in that case I would recommend going to a dealer which actually has knowledge of their products instead of just taking your money)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range