question

boatr avatar image
boatr asked

Smart BMS CL 12-100 is powered by the Li-ION port?

Some Smart BMS CL 12-100 are powered by the Li-ION port, and some are powered by the Alternator port. This is determined by the Serial Number.

(Please see notes on page 5 of Installation Manual/instructions)

How do I purchase a Smart BMS CL 12-100 powered by the Li-ION port? I had to return one already, that was powered by the Alternator port.

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Ask the seller to check the SN.
The SN is printed on a lable on the outside of the box.

HQ2109 means year 21 week 09 - that's almost 3 years ago.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boatr avatar image boatr commented ·

Knowing the date code is very helpful. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
boatr avatar image
boatr answered ·

Sounds easy...BUT...

1) New Seller says they will be ordering from California warehouse, so seller has no control over serial number.

2) Victron manual says: Serial numbers up to and including HQ2109 are powered by Alt/Start Battery port. The BMS I returned had a number of HQ 210596 LQR. Looking at the first four numbers might signal the BMS I returned was made previous to the change or maybe, because the number on the BMS I returned had a much longer number, it signals that it was made after the change? The dealer I purchased from did not settle this question, just suggested I return the BMS.

So here I am, asking the Victron community. Which, of course, has little input on what a dealer might send me. It is incredibly frustrating to expend so much energy on a problem that I should be able to ask a dealer in a phone call at the same time I place an order.

So, what dealer can send me a Smart BMS CL 12-100 powered by the Li-ION port? I'm ready to order!

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
The first 4 numbers are the production year and week the following numbers and letters are random for the serial number.

So you need a BMS with a serial number that starts with HQ2110...

0 Likes 0 ·
boatr avatar image
boatr answered ·

Apparently Smart BMS CL units with serial #'s after HZQ2109 may (or may not) be available in North America after April 10th, 2024. They are not presently available. This was stated by two independent resellers.

2 |3000