question

earndretti avatar image
earndretti asked

Shunt alarm and no signal

I have the Victron Energy SmartShunt IP65 500 amp Battery Monitor (Bluetooth) connected to my 24V 200 amp hour battery bank which is also connected to a 2000w inverter. My batteries were registering around 75% charged while I had the inverter charging my iPhone and powering a small lamp. I heard a short alarm sound and then the inverter and shunt turned off. I can no longer see the shunt on my iPhone app and not sure how to proceed. Any thoughts on next steps? I was going to wire the battery back straight to the inverter to test those 2 component. I’m certain that I had the settings on the shunt set to match my battery bank and was successfully using this set up for the previous 3 days before this issue.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Couple of things to check.

Positive lead to shunt may be disconnected/broken/fuse blown.

Battery voltage - may be too low. Shunt may have been reading incorrectly due to loads bypassing it. Apart from the shunt, there should be nothing connected to the battery negative. Battery must be grounded/earthed through the load side of the shunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The SmartShunt is not a switch it can't shut down the battery.

Is your battery lithium? If yes maybe the BMS cut off?

Try changing the battery.

Check all fuses.

2 |3000