question

mmx01 avatar image
mmx01 asked

Smart Shunt 500A and Multiplus II not aligning re. SOC

Hi,

I have Ve.direct smart shunt connected to GX and GX connected to multiplus II. I have enabled in VEConfig battery monitor and also selected Smart Shunt as the source of the data for the dashboard.

Smart Shunt reports all parameters okay, and the same values I see in the dashboard are displayed when I connecti via bluetooth. However my feeling is multiplus II seems to be still calculating its own values ignoring smart shunt. When I disable battery monitoring, multiplus II shows no SOC. When I enable it, smart shunt shows 100% and multiplus II shows 99.5%.

1707141289761.png

Is smart shunt not considered valid battery monitor for the system? Then what's its role? Seems expensive to just put 3 parameters on the dashboard without further use... or I do something wrong.

Any guidance welcome.

M.

SmartShunt
1707141289761.png (80.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The Multiplus will use the same SOC as the SmartShunt when the SmartShunt is enabled as the battery monitor. The difference you are seeing between 99.5% and 100% is just a rounding error.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mmx01 avatar image
mmx01 answered ·

But there are also current and voltage discrepancies? -0.5A vs. -1.8A

How can I make sure/verify it is using smart shunt as battery monitor? I could only find settings what to use for the dashboard -> system setup -> battery measurements

and

Settings -> System setup -> battery monitor is showing Smart Shunt

Not sure if all is okay.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@mmx01

This isn't documented anywhere I've seen, but the Smartshunt SOC will always be used by the system rather than the Multi's (as already stated). The only way to be sure in your own mind is to disable the value in the Multi. This is actually what Victron recommend to all their installers, as having two (often differing) SOC's is well known to cause customer concern. As you've found.

Current, Voltage and Temperature can also be shared. See the DVCC section in the GX manual for the options there. No options for SOC. Smartshunt always..

2 |3000